Chapter 22

Hey peeps! Sorry for the late update. As mentioned on my wall, I'm going into finals rush rn. Updates will continue to be sporadic until after Dec 15th (when my finals end).

Enjoy~

-----------------

It had been a few days since they had left the hopping village behind. Luckily Iris had been able to convince the males that her 'foot coverings' were needed if she was going to run. They had almost used it as an excuse to simply carry her, but how'd she get stronger from allowing them to do the work? Not to mention that she wasn't too keen on being physically close to two males who wanted to 'mate' her.

With a huff she noticed that she was lagging behind Tawn's pace a bit. She lengthened her strides and quickened her gait slightly until she was nearly shoulder to shoulder with the large wolf. Although running for long periods of time in the cooling weather burned her lungs, she was starting to enjoy the activity. Unlike running on a treadmill, she constantly had to watch out for roots, branches and rocks. Maneuvering around the obstacles had become particularly entertaining, it was exhilarating to constantly be scouring for her next foot placing. Although if she wasn't carful it'd be a sure sprain.

"We'll stop here for a mid-day meal." Ink called out from behind.

Slowing to a stop, Tawn back tracked at a leisurely trot while Iris followed behind at a walk, steadying her heart rate. Her cardio had been improving; however, the males took advantage of that to push her to a faster pace each day. Hence why she always felt out of breath when they stopped. Though, she noted that her fitness also seemed to be improving quicker than before she received her level mark, as the males had explained it.

"I'll hunt for lunch this time!" She happily called out as she adjusted her bow and quiver on her back. The males had been the ones hunting since she joined them, and she was starting to feel like a leach.

"NO!" (Tawn)

"Sounds good." (Ink)

The males replied simultaneously. They locked eyes in a silent conversation that only those who've known each other for far too long were capable of having.

Coming to a conclusion, "It's ok, I've got it." Ink changed his answer as Tawn sighed.

"At least let me come with?" Iris almost whined, "I haven't been able to do any hunting recently and I feel like I'm mooching from you both."

Not seeing anything wrong with a bit of company, Ink motioned for her to follow him. Together they headed off into the forest in search of prey, leaving a very distraught Tawn behind.

--

Much to Tawn's relief, the duo didn't return with any sort of 'odd' catch. Simply a regular sized buck that seemed to have been very poorly skinned in some patched. Someone had apparently received a lesson on how to skin and clean their kill.

After the group had eaten, overcome their food coma, and allowed some time for Tawn and Ink to frolic in each other's embrace, they got back on their way.

It wasn't after another few days that the trio finally arrived at what the male's called their cold season hide away.

The location was next to the ocean, along an inlet, so the waves were rather subdued. The air carried the scent of salt water whenever a slight breeze picked up. Clear water lapped at fine grains of white sand while fish could be seen darting around beneath the surface.

A series of cliffs jutting out along the channel of the inlet sheltered the area from any sea-born storms. The cliffs were shaped like wedges with their peak closest to the water. Their almost unnatural shape only added to the incredible view that Iris was looking forward to waking up to each morning.

Iris felt a sort of calm overtake her as she watched the serene scenery the laid out before her. She had an urge to go lounge beneath one of the trees growing not too far off from the bank.

Noticing her tranquil stare that had lost all form of caution as she took in the landscape, Ink spoke up. "Don't let the view deceive you, some of the most dangerous creatures on the continent live in these areas."

Iris looked up at him quizzically and frowned slightly, she could see nothing that screamed danger for quite some distance. Rather the place seemed fit to be a resort.

Sighing, "You'll see, it's hard to miss a gigas..." Not quite finishing what he'd been saying, he began following the tree line over the base of a cliff that jutted out into the inlet.

It was bizarre how the males made sure they always remained under the cover of trees and foliage, never venturing out into the open.

The males led Iris over to and along the side of one of the cliffs. She had noticed how the steep rocky walls of the cliffs were mostly covered in green. Now that she walked the side of one, she noticed that the greens were in fact hanging leafy vines. They stopped in front of a wall covered in hanging weeds before Tawn moved the curtain aside to reveal a small cave that seemed to have been dug into the side of the cliff. The grotto was on the side of the cliff that faced into the inlet such that they'd be shielded if there were to be a storm brought in from the large body of water.

Tawn quickly disappeared into the hole.

Depositing Iris's still wrapped belongings just passed the entrance, Ink turned towards the female. "This area is quite dangerous because of the gigas, so few beastmen come out here. On the plus side, the three of us will be able to train in peace and won't have to worry too much about anyone seeing you or your level mark."

Having said his piece, Ink followed Tawn into the grotto.

Next, it was Iris's turn to enter. Eagerly, she followed the males inside. After her experience with at the Hopping Tribe, she rather looked forward to what surprises the cavern would hold.

The cave did not disappoint. Lighting up the space were stalagmites reaching up from the floors towards their stalactite counterparts. Those that had connected created majestic columns in the underground world.

Iris paused in awe as she took in her glowing surroundings. She knew that in her world the mineral formations she was currently observing did not glow unless if subjected to UV light, or covered in glow worms like in the glowing caves of New Zealand. The space she was observing was ethereal, and seemingly untouched by outsiders. Though she had a nagging feeling that both Tawn and Ink had had the pleasure of residing in the cave in the past.

Returning to her senses, she continued deeper into the magical space towards where the males seemed to be setting up camp for the winter. Much to her appreciation, they had chosen a spot where there were no hanging stalactites overhead. At least she'd be able to sleep easy without worry of anything impaling her in her sleep, or accidentally hitting her head while being sleep groggy.

She smiled to herself, it seemed like the males had actually put their shared braincell to good use for once.

--------------

Thank you all for reading! Please tap that star if you enjoyed.

Cheers <3

Dec 1st, 2021