Chapter 25

Ink watched Iris as they waited for the giga meat to cook. She'd taken off the bow and quiver and both were placed next to her. Her back was resting against a trunk while she stared into the flames currently cooking her and Tawn's meal – Ink usually preferred his meat raw.

Initially, Iris had seemed surprised with their plan to eat before heading back. When he and Tawn had returned from their romp in the forest and immediately gone about building a fire, she had looked prepared to start lugging the giga back to their cave. He suspected that Iris had expected to carry their kill back to the beach cave before eating.

Given that they would be eating some for their mid-day meal regardless, it was easier for them to eat those portions sooner and reduce the total load they would have to drag around with them later. Ink much preferred the easier option.

Tawn leaned forward to turn the skewered meat and Ink appreciated his naked glory. The wolfman's hair was plastered in places to his back with sweat that glistened in the mid-day sun. Above that, he appreciated even more knowing why Tawn was so sweaty.

They'd had a very satisfying encounter while Iris had ogled the giga. His shafts and sheath were definitely a bit raw.

Ink allowed himself to relax back into the coils of his lower half. No predators would approach the open fire nor the smell of fresh giga blood. The only creature who would approach upon the scent of giga blood would be another of the same species. Luckily, they were territorial and tended to remain far from each other. None would be in this area for a couple days and by then, his crew would be ready for another hunt.

A serving of raw meat thrust into his face, courtesy of Tawn, shifted Ink's attention back to his group. He took his portion from Tawn with a nod before he began swallowing.

Tawn passed a cooked skewer to Iris and they also bit into their meals.

"Gah, I think I'll wait till we get back and eat some canned food instead." Iris exclaimed as she exaggerated chewing and swallowing her first mouthful. "This stuff tastes like boot leather."

She was cute as she stuck her tongue out and scrunched up her nose. Completely unguarded in her silly display.

Though Ink could definitely agree that it wasn't the best tasting meat, it was by far the best for gaining strength towards leveling up a beast mark.

"You'll get used to it," Tawn said evenly, saving Ink from having to. To accentuate his point, Tawn took a large bite and quickly swallowed. He had likely been trying to show-off how easily the rubbery meat could go down with experience, but he only succeeded in chocking himself.

With Tawn out of commission due to his coughing fit, Ink was forced to explane further, "The power in the meat makes it worth the unpleasant taste and texture. It's the best way to level up a beast mark and maybe gain a skill."

Barely sparing a glance at Tawn's dramatic coughing, Iris asked, "Then how'd I get a beast mark without ever eating any?"

On cue, Tawn coughed harder and began smacking his chest. Ink wondered if his mate would go so far as to fall over and flail like a fish out of water simply to provide a distraction.

Unwilling to answer, Ink appreciated Tawn's theatrical performance. He swallowed the last of his meal and rose onto his tail.

"I'll section the giga for transport while you two finish eating," he said before slithering over to the giga to begin cutting the large creature into manageable portions for transport.

---

They made it back to their temporary dwelling with plenty of time before dusk. The meat had been safely stored in the deeper, colder section of the cave.

Iris plopped herself down by the entrance, "Now what?"

"We train!" Tawn exclaimed, picking Iris up and tossing her over his shoulder as he exited the cave.

It took a moment for Iris to react, but she quickly began pounding at his back with her fists and kicking her legs. "What are you doing?!?" She squeaked.

Ink chuckled under his breath. Shaking his head, he and followed them out. He was sure that Iris was getting an unobscured view of Tawn's muscular rear. Knowing Tawn, he had probably down it on purpose and was likely quite pleased with himself.

In typical Tawn fashion, he patted her butt as he set her down in front of him. Ink could already tell that he was purposely riling her up if his wolfish grin was anything to go by.

"I swear I will unman you!" Iris exclaimed with clear ire in her voice as she lunged out at Tawn.

Such was how Tawn began sparing with Iris.

Soon, Tawn's loud guffaws of laughter followed by irate growls from Iris accompanied Ink as he watched the pair's training turn to play fighting. Tawn would either deflect Iris, landing her on her bum, or smack her rear end when she let her guard down.

Ink would have joined, but he preferred to immobilise his opponents. Hardly fair for someone only just learning. He also doubted Iris would appreciate being wrapped in his coils. At least not yet.

---

The evening meal was calm as they sat around a small fire burning below the natural chimney in their cave. Each of their faces were illuminated by the fire's light dancing across their features.

In reaction to the fire's light, the natural illumination of the cave had receded to where the fire's glow did not reach.

Ink relaxed back into his coils from where he watched Iris doze off with her head leaning on Tawn's shoulder. Not that she had fallen asleep in that position. Tawn had positioned her as such after she had fallen asleep where she sat after eating.

From the look on Tawn's face, Ink could tell that the male rather liked their little Iris. It had been a long while that they'd been looking for a female that could fit as a third in their unique relationship. He only hoped that after their time together that Iris would be accepting of them both.

Ink knew that Tawn had turned down numerous offers already and it weighed heavily on his mind. Tawn was a beastman who longed for family, and by staying with Ink, he was depriving himself of that.

Had Tawn chosen to leave Ink, the wolf would have quickly been able to find a female willing to mate him into her family unit. Tawn was a strong male and a good hunter. It also didn't hurt that he was attractive in the eyes of females.

On the other hand, beast females very rarely accepted snake beastmen as mates. By nature, his species was solitary and rarely fit with already existing family units. As a result, some of his brethren resorted to stealing females in order to reproduce, earning them all a bad rep.

~~~~~~~

Thank you for reading! Likes and comments are always very appreciated <3

Uploaded June 28, 2023