2 - A f-ing cliché

Matthew returned to his flat after a productive meeting

Matthew returned to his flat after a productive meeting. Not only would there be action figures of Astara and Roman, but some of the monsters the duo had defeated, including the Blemmyae. Could the figments of his imagination sell on Ebay NIB or new in box for tons of money in ten years? Maybe he should hold on to some extras in case his imagination ran out and he couldn't write any longer.

He entered his flat and heard voices, expecting to see the telly. It surprised him to see his best mate, Neill.

"This is a surprise!" He smiled.

"I stop by, hoping to lure you out to the pub. You missed all the fun last night."

"Were you out with Pen's hens last night?" He laughed because he loved the name he coined.

"I ran into the gaggle." Neill smiled as he looked sideways at Penny.

"I hope you watched out for my girl." Matthew put his arm around Penny and kissed her cheek. "All those desperate men who don't know she's taken."

"I'm not a possession. My gawd, Matthew! You're so old-fashioned, like your father and the way he treats your mum."

"My Mum is free as a lark. She flies home to my dad, because they're madly in love the way we are."

Penny looked uncomfortable. Penny and Neill had a contentious relationship. They fought over Matthew's time and affections. When he walked in, they were having a face off, with Penny standing with her hands on her hips.

"Were you having a row over something just now? Neill as much fun as the pub sounds, I promised Pen, I'd take her out tonight, just the two of us. Did you decide where you want to go?"

He slipped his hands around her waist and pulled her to him. She didn't relax into him and he wanted Neill to leave, so he could kiss her properly. Neill never liked their PDA in front of him. Not that he didn't enjoy women, but he didn't prefer relationships. His friend was a male slag, but he was a wealthy one with old family money. Lucky for him, he lacked the title.

"I know when I'm not wanted. I'll go home and put my feet up then."

Penny slipped out of his arms and walked to the bedroom. Matthew laughed. "You will not. You'll open your proverbial black book and find some girl willing to bonk you."

Neill shrugged. "I might surprise you."

Matthew shook his head. "Right then. We can have lunch next week. I'll tell you about my toys."

"You just have it handed to you on a silver platter. The talent, the fame, and the girl."

Matthew patted his back. "You have looks and wealth and a boring suit job."

Once he walked his mate out, he found Penny on the bed. "Tired, Pen? A little lie-down before dinner?"

"A headache. How was your meeting?"