26 - Ninjas

Lily smiled. Victoria had been nicer to her since they cleared the air. She stopped mentioning Brady, but Lily kept bringing up Matthew's name. At first, she was jealous when they started walking together. She had seen them more than once, but Victoria changed the subject whenever she mentioned Matthew.

Lily argued. "You'd be crazy not to go after him?"

"Go after him? Lily, he's not a dog."

"You know what I mean."

Victoria nodded. "He doesn't live here."

"So have a summer fling."

Lily felt herself swoon. She wanted a summer fling. She wanted something to prove any other man besides Brady found her attractive. The man she wanted to notice her hadn't yet. Sure, he smiled and joked with her, but he never talked to her in a corner, like she had seen him do with the others. She was glad Victoria wasn't advertising her break up with Garrett. If Danny knew Victoria was single, he would probably go after her. Her redhead friend would have Matthew and Danny while Lily had no one.

"Lily, I need time to figure things out. I just changed my status."

Lily had changed her status, but she did it so she could date, and she was ready to date. "The more time you waste, the less time you'll have in his bed."

"Lily!"

"If you don't want him, maybe I'll hit on him." She had no delusions he would be interested.

Victoria shook her head. "He's in tight with you know who."

"He who must not be named." Lily pretended to make a joke but didn't like to think about Brady. Most specifically, the look on his face as she kicked him out. She had never been heartless before, but was when she hurt him without warning.

Out of the corner of her eye, Danny approached. She waited until the right moment. "We should go out dancing. You know, get a group together."

Danny leaned against the counter. "Let me know when. I love to dance."

Victoria laughed. "I bet you do. Rumors are you prefer the horizontal kind."

He put his hand over his heart and winked at Lily. "Vicious lies."

Lily felt her heart race. Was it his wink or the smile that went with it? She reached up to push some stray hairs behind her ears. Although she wore it in a ponytail for work, it never stayed in the hairband the way it should.

Victoria rolled her eyes and walked away. Danny watched her walk away. His interest in her friend's backside was disheartening.

"This weekend?" Lily drew his attention. "I'm newly single and looking to have some fun."

"Can't do this weekend. I'll take a raincheck though." He flashed a smile that sent a current down Lily's spine. "Duty calls."

Lily watched him walk away. The idea of going dancing took hold, but not with only Victoria. Maybe she should drive to Massachusetts to go out with her other best friend, Sydney. A night out with Sydney and possibly Lilli made her smile. She quickly sent her friends a text to see when they woke.

Saturday after a decent nap, Lily drove to Massachusetts. Both her friends were excited for her visit. Sydney's parents were her parents' close friends, at least until Chellie and Rob moved to Maine.

When Lily arrived, Sydney screeched and hugged her. "You look good. I thought you would look heartbroken."

The girls took their time getting ready. Sydney insisted Lily borrow a mini dress. Lily wasn't so sure. She had planned to wear skinny jeans with a nice top, but relented to peer pressure and studied herself in the mirror. The black dress fit her, creating curves she didn't know she had. Never had she worn anything so tight since she stopped wearing one piece bathing suits before puberty.