30 - Eventually

So many feelings kept Victoria from wrapping her arms around Matthew and kissing him. When she turned the corner to see Matthew and Garrett face to face, her heart stopped. She was out of breath and had been forced to walk. As she drew closer, she could see Matthew had hardly broken a sweat. Garrett looked as if he had worked a full day.

Even when Garrett insulted Matthew, he stayed calm. She spoke up before Matthew could defend himself. Away from Garrett, she asked, "Would you have set him straight?"

Matthew's smile spread to his eyes as they sparkled in the afternoon sun. "I'm a bloke who lives over a fish market. I just told you that I have no other home."

"Your parents' home in the mother country you'll need to return to."

"Eventually. A lot can happen before, eventually."

She shook her head. "What are you cooking for me?"

He paused. She would tease him for not knowing how to cook.

"I don't cook. I muddle through, but one of the easier mains is curry. Do you like curry?"

Smiling, she nodded. "I like almost anything."

"I'll have to shop."

They walked down the sands but back to the road when they reached the Beach House. Bear looked spotted with light clumps of sand on his wet fur.

Victoria cooed. "Someone needs a bath."

Matthew lifted his arm and sniffed. "Do I smell?"

Her laugh was contagious. "Not you, silly. Bear."

"Bear is not a someone."

She pushed his shoulder. "Always so proper."

At her Jeep, Matthew said, "I'll see you soon."

As Victoria drove off The Point, she glanced at Bear beside her. Not a someone, she disagreed. "You like Matthew better, don't you?" Bear cocked his head as her heart swelled. Matthew's look as he tried again to convince her had the same effect. It was getting harder and harder to resist him.

A small part of her felt glad he was going away. She needed to see what life would be like without him. Maybe she was like Lily. They were both looking for a chance to make it on their own, except Lily was still trying to make out in Danny's arms.

"Am I making a mistake?" Bear sighed and turned to put his head out the window as she drove over the causeway.

It was foolish to let Bear get wet in the salt water, but he loved it. At least, he stood still for his bath, until he shook the soap and water off, sending a rain shower on Victoria. Clean dog, filthy dog-mom.

She had finished washing him and sat outside, letting the late afternoon sun dry his fur. She should care more about Matthew seeing her looking like a disaster. Just as she was second guessing her decision about not cleaning up, he pulled behind her Jeep.

As he climbed out of his car, Bear sat up and tugged his leash. She stood to be pulled over to their guest. "He's wet!"

Matthew didn't step back but reached down to pet the wet fur. He looked at her and smirked. She froze as his hand reached towards her face. Lightly, his fingers brushed her skin. "You and sand and fur."

She looked down at her clothes. "I'm a mess."

He lifted her chin to face him. His eyes probed hers as he bit on his lips. She wanted to look away, but was drawn to his full lips. As a reflex, she licked her own lips.

"A beautiful mess," he said, in a husky voice."

Bear's bark startled her, and she stepped back. Turning to see what drew her dog's attention. Becka stood on the top step, smiling.