18 - Didn't know

Matthew looked forward to going out on Saturday night. He and Lillian had worked together on edits most of Friday and again on Saturday. Eventually, he let her read the sex scene. After meeting with Kendall, he revised it on Thursday night and felt more comfortable about it. Maybe it was a little embarrassing, especially when she teased she wanted to have sex with Ethan. Was his male lead a reflection of himself? He glared at her, but felt the heat in his cheeks.

"You are cute. Too bad Kendall will fire me if I seduce you."

"I'm not a piece of meat, thank you very much. I've been in a relationship that didn't end well."

"Your gorgeous blond?"

Penny was gorgeous, but maybe that was her problem. Spending time with Lillian, Victoria and even Lily Two had made him realise beyond being beautiful they were nice people. Penny was not mean, but she wasn't nice to everyone. He could envision each of his new friends dropping something into a homeless person's cup while Penny would cross the street to avoid him.

"Lilli, I was wondering. Have you ever volunteered?"

She stared at him like he asked her to strip. "Sure, when I came home at Christmas, I helped Lily's mom distribute gifts to the needy her organization helps. I was in a service club in high school and in college, but Kendall keeps me too busy now. Why?"

"No reason. I was just curious."

"Do you volunteer?"

"I used to, like you. My mum is involved with a lot of charities. I stopped, like you by telling myself I was too busy, but I miss it."

"You should talk to Brady. He's involved with a mentor program for at risk boys. Lily's mother told him about it."

"That doesn't surprise me. Lily Two found herself a great bloke."

Lilli frowned. "Sometimes, I think she doesn't realize what she has."

Matthew was tempted to pepper her with questions, but her statement was under her breath and he didn't think he was supposed to hear it. He'd keep his eyes open and observe for himself. He hoped Lily Two wasn't like Penelope. Brady didn't deserve to have his heart trampled on.

The weather had changed since he arrived, and it was a pleasant evening when he walked toward Lillian's house on Saturday night. He wore a jumper over his button down. He hoped he didn't regret wearing shorts. His grandmother used to insist his mum to dress him in short trousers, but she refused. "How a country could conquer the world, but not have enough fabric to cover their lads' legs in the cold climate, I'll never understand." Lady Gorham would grumble, but Dad would tighten his hold on Mum's waist to let her know she was his choice.

As he turned onto Lillian's street, she came running to meet him. People were gathered at Lily Two's house.

"Lillian, if you're having a party, we don't need to go to the bar."

"What party? That's just Saturday night on The Point. Maybe the crowd is bigger because it's the first one after the long winter. I need to go in for a minute. Come on, Brady's here."

She led him to the crowd and Brady looked up from his conversation with a middle-aged man and waved. Lily Two was not far, and she smiled at him.

Lily Two said, "Matthew, come meet my mother."

He smiled. They looked like mother and daughter. He offered his hand and would have made his mum proud of his manners.

"I remember your mother when she stayed here, but I didn't know her. We didn't come to The Point a lot that summer."