11.1 - Tigers and Bears

Matthew was pleased Lillian had positive comments on the second set of pages

Matthew was pleased Lillian had positive comments on the second set of pages. He confessed to Lillian his intimidation about writing intimate scenes. She suggested he read some examples. On Saturday morning, she knocked on his door with a stack of books.

"What's this?"

"Examples. I marked the pages for you to read." Her smile caused sweat to form around his collar.

"Did you stay up all night reading sex scenes?"

She blushed as she sputtered. "If you succeed, maybe I will too."

He didn't want to be the one to tell her Kendall wasn't planning to promote her. Matthew didn't like the position his editor put him in.

Lillian hadn't been able to schedule the book signing until the following Friday afternoon. They needed time to promote it, but he reluctantly agreed to go out with her friends with some stipulations - one pub and he decided when to go home.

Matthew and Lillian sat at a table big enough for six as they waited for her friends. Lillian had invited two couples, so he feared she had the wrong idea about them being a couple. He was in Maine to get over Penelope, not to start something that would be over when summer ended.

Lilli smiled and waved and he looked to the door to see Lily Two. While the two Lilies hugged, Matthew stared at the face he had been writing about for weeks. A bloke walked over and broke his eye contact.

He offered his hand. "I'm Brady, Lily's boyfriend." He turned and said, "And Victoria, one of Lily's nurse friends."

His mouth was suddenly dry. "Matthew."

Brady sat down across the table, and Victoria stood waiting for the girls.

Matthew said, "Please sit." He pointed to a chair next to him. Victoria looked nervous, so he added, "I didn't hear what you're called."

She hadn't jumped to acknowledge knowing him and smiled. "Victoria."

He watched as she sat next to Brady, farthest away from him.

Lillian turned to the others. "Brady, move down so Lily can sit next to Victoria. Where's your guy?"

Matthew felt himself relax when Victoria said he wasn't coming. He wasn't ready to see his muse with another man.

Lily Two sat next to Brady, and he immediately put his arm behind her chair. "Hi Matthew. How are you enjoying your stay?"

"Hello Lily Two. I'm finding Maine more enjoyable as the days warm up. Do you know I saw surfers?"

Lily Two laughed. "There are always surfers. My brother used to surf. His friend still does."

Lilian said, "The doctor who pulled out my wisdom teeth surfs."

Victoria said, "He pulled mine too. Bear and I saw him Wednesday morning."

Lillian asked, "How is Bear?"