45 - Trust

Lily didn't know what to expect from Brady. He had wanted her to keep their secret, but it was hard because he was all she thought about. She only wanted to be with him. It was as if she didn't realize how much she wanted him until she tried to live without him.

All day, Matthew and Brady bombarded her with texts. Both wanted to make sure Victoria came to the party. What she didn't understand was why her threatening not to go would get Victoria there. She also didn't know how Brady learned to dance, but as he turned her in his arms, he managed a basic box step.

He whispered. "This is all for you. For us. Victoria planned this party, so we'd fall in love again. I couldn't ruin it by telling her you came back to me on your own, especially after things got messed up with her and Matthew."

"What's he doing? He's not going to her."

Brady looked over at their friend. "I'm sure he has a plan."

"Who wouldn't want him?" Lily breathed. Brady held her tighter. "I didn't mean me. I have you." Her heart soared.

Brady didn't let go when the song ended. He led her to Matthew, but held her tight.

He whispered, causing goosebumps to travel down her neck. "I love your dress."

"I love you're wearing pink."

"You've tried to convince me before. I wanted to show I trust you."

Lily could argue she didn't deserve it, but Brady was Brady. He had a big, trusting heart. Even with his dad's drinking and his dysfunctional family, Brady still had trust.

As Matthew spoke about her parents, Brady whispered, "I saw you across the room. It was like there was only us."

Lily's heart felt full as she tried to listen to Matthew. What object? Vision? Had she missed something at Gritty's that night?

Matthew finished speaking and walked to Victoria, as Brady had done. The minute Matthew took Victoria in his arms, Lily let out the breath she had been holding.

Brady whispered, sending more warm shivers down her neck, straight to her heart. "Come home with me tonight."

She nodded. He pulled her to the patio. A girl Lily recognized as Matthew's sister said, "I see the lessons worked."

"Lessons?" She looked at Brady.

His neck matched his shirt. "Dance lessons."

Lily laughed. "You did that for me?"

"Anything, Tiger."

Lily said, "Keep whispering like that and we'll need to leave."

Brady cleared his throat. "Let's find the food."

They were eating when Matthew and Victoria appeared. "Lily, did the party make you fall in love with Brady?"

"I never stopped being in love. I needed space to realize it. Brady's forgiven me, right?"

He nodded and squeezed her hand. "Are you two good?"

Victoria nodded. "Matthew's dad is going to live forever."

"Only if my wife joins me." Lily took in the sight of an older Matthew. He was just as handsome, even with some gray at his temples.

"Dad, this is Lily-Two."

"Lily." He smiled warmly. "Is there a clone?"

"Lillian, who works for my publisher, is Lily's best friend."

Lily touch Brady's arm. "Second best. Brady's my best friend."

Rick appeared. "Lily, I'm glad to see you're back with Brady." She opened her mouth to ask how he knew. "You know there are no secrets on The Point."

Wendy appeared."Matthew, Rick tells me you've been eating most of your meals at The Landing." Turning to Rick, she said, "I suppose you know everyone."

"Lily worked for me for years."

Wendy smiled. "We have that in common."

Lily added, "I've read your books."

"You should read Matthew's." She puffed up a little.

Brady said, "I read a part of his new book."

Matthew patted Brady's shoulder. "I'm surprised you remember."

Lily said, "Matthew got Brady drunk."

Victoria said, "Lily, we heard you were drunk too."

Wendy shook her head. "Young people. Lily and Brady, you're welcome anytime."

Wendy gracefully moved on. They spent the evening socializing. Lily knew all the guests from The Point. For some, she knew their favorite pastry or sandwich.

When Wendy announced the fireworks would begin shortly, Matthew disappeared, but returned with blankets and a bottle of Prosecco. He motioned for his friends to follow him out the front door, around the house, and onto the beach, away from the crowd.

Perfection: the beach, blankets, fireworks, and passing around a bottle of bubbles. "This is romantic." Lily sighed.

Victoria said, "Lil, did you finally realize Brady is your amazing love story?"

"Yeah, I was stupid. I'm lucky he still wants me. I think I'm going to move into his apartment, but I'll still stay in the cottage in the summer."

Brady frowned. "I'll have to sleep on the porch, if I want to be near you."

"Not if we're alone." She kissed his lips, because they were so inviting and she loved the feeling spreading throughout her body. Sometimes it was pure lust, but it was always love, and love was more important.

Pulling back, Lily asked, "What about you two? Did you figure out you're meant to be together?" Victoria laughed. "Brady told me about your plan. Serves you right to have it used against you."

"You should be glad, because you needed a push to see what was in front of you."

Lily started to open her mouth and argue, but Brady squeezed her tight. Instead, she blurted, "What was all the stuff in your story, Matthew, about your vision? I don't remember any of that happening when you met."

Matthew looked at Victoria, and she nodded. "We had met weeks before at the gate at Heathrow. We were sat next to each other on the plane. That's when I fell in love with her."

Victoria looked up at him with doe eyes. Lily exclaimed, "That's so romantic! You knew each other when we all went out? Why didn't you tell us?"

Victoria sighed. "Because it was awkward, and I wasn't single and..."

"It was our story." Matthew said.

"See Tiger, everyone has their own private story. What we know is only what they want us to know. Ours is the same."

Victoria added. "Your story is more romantic, because you walked away and Brady still wanted you."

Brady was amazing and forgiving. "Same for you, Victoria."

"I guess, but I just needed to think."

Matthew smiled. "Vic is like my mum." He kissed her neck.

The two couples were side-by-side when the first rocket shot up in the sky.

After the fireworks, they returned to the house and lingered as they helped clean up when all the guests had left. Eventually, the two couples stepped outside. Lily hated to fight the traffic to get off The Point, but she wanted to sleep with Brady. She would surprise her parents in the morning when she and Brady returned to the beach.

Wendy Clark said, "We'll see you in the morning for breakfast, Victoria."

"I have to take my dog for a walk on the beach. Hopefully, he'll forgive me for keeping him away."

Brady said, "Bye guys. Thanks. You ready to go home, Tiger?"

Lily smiled. Brady was her home.