44 - OTL

It had been a long week for Victoria. She was convinced that both Bear and Matthew hated her. It wasn't true; only Bear did if she believed Wendy Clark. She didn't want to like her surprise visitors, but they had raised Matthew.

Their conversation kept rolling around in her head. The older version of Matthew admitted he would give up his legacy for his wife. Victoria didn't know how Matthew felt, because she didn't stick around to ask. She had run like Wendy.

Wendy's character in Seaside Secrets ran, Wendy ran, even Matthew ran from his ex. She was the same. She buried her face. Her head hurt to think about it.

Lily wouldn't shut up about the party, but Victoria could only be mad at herself. She created the no-win situation. If she didn't go, Lily would never get back with Brady; he had called her twice, nervous about Lily not going.

If Victoria went, she would see Matthew. What would she say to him? What if his mother was wrong, and he rejected her? He had no mercy for Penelope. Had she hurt him as bad as Penelope had?

The only time she felt at peace was when she worked. Although she didn't love her schedule, the nurse loved supporting her patients and the miracle of childbirth. Occasionally, when she felt a baby punch or kick, she imagined having a life inside of her. Someday she wanted to experience it, and Matthew filled her mind?

If she listened to Becka, she would end up living in England and her son would be a future earl.

As her patient groaned through another contraction, Victoria snapped out of her train of thought and encouraged her. She was eighteen and her boyfriend still had a face full of acne. The poor kid was scared to death. They both were.

She joked. "Childbirth is the easy part. It's the next eighteen years that's hard. I bet you gave your parents some sleepless nights."

Neither commented because another contraction started. They were steady, so it was time to check her progress.

Victoria didn't want her shift to end. She would be a nap away from accepting her fate. It would be selfish to keep Lily from Brady, because they belonged together.

Walking out together, Lily said, "Come get ready with me at the house."

Victoria had been to the Taylor's cottage but not their house. She knew Alex had built it. Because of Garrett, she hadn't gotten ready to go out with a friend since college.

"I'm not sure I'm going. You should go. Matthew would be disappointed."

Lily laughed. "Only if you don't go. He loves you."

He had less than a week ago. She wanted him to still love her. She was afraid of his future. Penelope wasn't. It made sense why she kissed his friend, but still wanted Matthew. She wanted his title, the one thing that scared Victoria.

It surprised her when she slept. After waking, she took Bear for a walk or tried to. He sat next to her car with a sad face.

"Come on." Eventually, her coaxing worked.

After a long walk, she had texts from Lily and Brady. Brady tugged at her heartstrings. She finally agreed to go to stop the hounding, as she packed up her makeup and dress.

Knocking on her father's door, he answered. "Going somewhere?" She nodded. "Vic, if you love him. The rest won't matter. Think of Megan. Don't be stubborn."

"But I'd have to move."

"And we will come visit."

Becka said, "You're not deciding your future tonight. You're just deciding to be happy, instead of miserable."