49 - Amazing love

Three years later maybe a little longer...

The intro to On The Darkside filled the room. Matthew had nixed Manic Monday. He groaned and turned over. Ironically, he was up most of the night while Victoria slept.

She jumped out of bed and took in the view. It never got old, even in the winter, looking out at the ocean was amazing. Bear looked at her, still not used to waking up so early, but he stood and followed her downstairs. She would take him to his new favorite spot on the corner of Osprey Way and Shore. Matthew could run with him later while she was at work. She had started working in a midwife practice a week before and didn't regret going back to school. It was her best decision. That and choosing Matthew.

She smiled because the weekend before Lily and Brady finally got married. Lily was working as a nurse practitioner in a pediatric office. She was done with night duty. Victoria was not, and neither was Matthew.

Lily's wedding was beautiful, but Victoria favored her own intimate nuptuals. Matthew stood up to his grandfather who wanted them to marry in London. Instead, they said their vows on the beach where they had fallen in love and lived. Lily was in Victoria's wedding, but Victoria was happy not to be one of Lily's bridesmaids. Lily had her sister, her friend, Sydney, from Massachusetts, and Liillian. Matthew's friend Lilli still worked in Boston, but the details of her life would have to be saved for another day. Victoria didn't want to be late for work.

She showered and dressed in professional clothes. Victoria didn't wear scrubs to the office, only at the hospital for births. She had three new prenatal patients booked, which excited her, because she would see them through their pregnancy from start to finish.

She walked into the room with a smile for her last patient of the day. "I'm Victoria Clark."

She looked at the pretty redhead and smiled warmly. She was young and alone. Victoria wondered if she was married, not that it mattered.

The door opened. "Sorry I'm late, babe." Victoria turned around and froze. Garrett said, "Where's the midwife? She's here to see a midwife, not a nurse."

"I am the midwife."

Her patient said, "I told you her name was Clark."

Garrett's eyes narrowed, as if studying every inch of her. "Is this going to be a problem for either of you? I'll step outside and you can decide, but you need to trust your midwife."

She shut the door behind them and shook her head. She had successfully avoided him for years. She often saw his truck and trailer, which he had miraculously kept. Victoria always wondered if her father paid him off to leave her alone. She had known he moved on from the chick at the grocery store. Most of all, she hoped he had changed if he was to become a father.

The door opened and Garrett said, "Tori, you can come in."

Victoria winced at the nickname. "I prefer Victoria." She looked at the girl, who looked about twenty-two. "Are you comfortable with me? I'm happily married and haven't seen him in years."

She nodded. "Yeah, okay."

Victoria smiled. "So how are you feeling? What's the date of your last period?"

The exam went fine, and Victoria ushered them out. She had her husband waiting at home. He had learned to cook more than curry and might have dinner ready. Then they would take a walk on the beach, hand in hand with their dog.

Her life was an amazing love story.

Thanks to all of you for cheering on my two couples. I enjoyed creating Matthew. I worked to sound British like my friend Thoroughali Please know I appreciate every view, vote and comment. I ❤ U all xXx

Next in TP Next Gen Series is Almost  Home.