48 - Lady

The night before their flight to Boston, Matthew finally gave in to his sisters and agreed to take Victoria out on the town. He had given up the London scene when he gave up Penelope. It was almost a year later and he could hardly remember what it had been like to be with her. Nothing with Victoria was the same. It proved how wrong Penelope had been for him.

Being home had felt wonderful, but he missed his new life in Maine. Victoria wasn't the only one missing Bear. Matthew had gotten used to his company as he wrote in the middle of the night. He was almost certain he went though withdrawals from Rick's coffee. His mum made a decent cup in her French press, but it couldn't compare.

Their quiet week felt like it belonged in a quintessential Christmas movie, a very British one with mince pies, poppers, sausage rolls, and the best roast ever. They strolled the High Street at night to see the lights. Both missed the leash in their hand. He had suffered embarrassment as Victoria purchased a tourist tee from a shoppe.

Every time he saw the diamond sparkle on his finger he smiled. He encouraged her to call her family on Christmas Eve, but it wasn't a surprise. With sweaty palms, Matthew had knock on the first floor door. John had looked sad when he asked permission, but Matthew didn't take it personally. He knew it was the potential distance that bothered him. Her father knew, but he couldn't chance telling his own mum. She was a Dale and could blurt things best kept to herself. It was a very hard secret to keep, especially about the house.

Victoria was excited about a night out in London and dressed in another of Martha's dresses that he started thinking about taking off her the moment he saw her in it. Even the fact it was his sister's dress couldn't control his lust. Maybe going out and dancing with Victoria would be fun. For once, he wished he had his flat in London. He should have reserved a room at a hotel, but the four were going together and would return together. Matthew was happy to get the train into Charing Cross, but Harry insisted they took a taxi.

They arrived late, and the club was full of scantily clad women and randy men. He couldn't believe he used to like the lifestyle. Victoria and Martha went for a table while he and Millie went to the bar for drinks. As they weaved their way to the table, he stopped short. There, talking to Martha, was Penelope. He took a moment to study her. She looked too thin and boney. Victoria must not have known who Martha was talking with, because she looked relaxed and smiled when she saw him approach.

Penelope saw him too. "Matthew! Have you finally stopped pouting and come home?"

He shook his head and placed the drinks on the table and stood behind Victoria at the high top table. "I'm just home for the holidays. We fly back to Boston tomorrow."

Penelope noticed Victoria and Matthew's hand on her waist. "We?"

Before Matthew could reply, Victoria stuck out her hand. "Victoria Thorpe. I'm Matthew's fiance."

Matthew understood Victoria's smile. He had the same one anytime Garrett saw him with Victoria. Bear didn't run to the small giant anymore. Imogen loved the Garreth and was already talking about a new figurine.

Penelope took her hand briefly, but her eyes darted to Victoria's left hand. The room was dark, but any light caught her diamond like a beacon.

Matthew smiled. "Victoria, this is Penelope. Penny, where's Neill?"

She shrugged. "Around here somewhere. You're really getting married?"

"We are." He kissed Victoria's beautiful creamy neck from behind. It tasted like honey. "I didn't know what it meant to be in love until I met Victoria. We will have the life I always wanted."

"Kids. Aren't everything." She scoffed.

"No, but family is." Feeling a bit of spite, he smiled at Victoria. "She'll be the perfect Lady Gorham someday."

Penelope looked like she sucked on a lemon.

Victoria looked up at him and smiled. She kissed his cheek and said, "Dance with me, my lord."

Matthew was happier when her body was pressed to his. He would prefer in private without clothes, but in front of Penelope worked, too.

Victoria laughed. "That was fun." Then she whispered, "She's beautiful."

"Not nearly as gorgeous as you. The minute I saw you, I changed my definition of beautiful."

Out of the corner of his eye, he saw Penelope clinging to Neill with all their friends around them, his old friends. He thought of Brady, Lily and Lilli and decided he was extremely happy with his new friends. Things happened for a reason, and he should thank Penelope for starting the chain of events that lead him to Victoria. It was an amazing love story.

Don't forget to vote ❤