22- Mate

While Matthew walked with Victoria, he was too into her to think about the breakup. Did her boyfriend mind her walking with him? The guy was lucky Matthew would never make a move, because he knew what it felt like.

His mind went to Brady. The poor sod. Putting an ocean between them had helped him move on from Penelope. When Amanda and Ethan were shitty company, the loneliness crept in. He tried to think about his muse and not his humiliation. The guilt followed because she was taken by a phantom who he hadn't met and she never talked about.

Lillian stayed in Boston to help Kendall. She didn't elaborate, but texted Bosszilla is keeping me from Maine. He had looked forward to her company.

He texted Brady, Want to hang out?

When he didn't respond, Matthew called home.

His mum answered. "Matthew, how are you?"

Lonely, sad, worried about my friend. "I'm well. It's warmer, finally."

"I was waiting to finalize things, but Nora's daughter..."

"Mum, I haven't met your old friends except for Drew's nephew and niece."

"Aren't they children?"

He smiled. "Yes, and huge fans along with their friends."

"You need to meet people your own age."

"I have. I'm hoping to get together with a mate later."

"Where was I? Right. Nora's daughter had the name of an estate agent. We've secured a house and are coming to see you for our holiday."

"Really, Mum?" He missed his parents. "You and Dad? When?"

"The month of August. The girls will join us."

"They'll love it."

He felt the excitement rippling. Victoria could meet his mum. That shouldn't have been his first thought.

"Where is the house?"

"By the sea. You'll stay with us. I was told the owner has gone to Dubai for a year. It was the last minute. I thought it was too late to find a rental, but luck was on our side. Darling, your father is waiting to say hello." She passed the phone over.

"All right, Matty."

"All right, Dad. Big news about your holiday."

"Mum's very excited. She's certain you're lonely."

"A wee bit. I have some mates."

He had a text notification while talking to his mum.

"Mum wants to say goodbye."

"Okay. Bye Dad."

He heard his mother's voice. "Matthew, love you."

"Love you too, Mum."

He felt drained. He missed them, but they were coming. Still, August was a long way off. Thankfully, his book tour was in July.

Brady texted, I'm no fun.

He replied, I know, mate. I'm here for you. Come over. We'll drink.

Brady texted, After 7.

Poor bloke, he wanted to avoid Lily. She'd be at work at seven with Victoria.

Matthew was working on some edits when Brady appeared. It was half past seven. The bloke looked awful. He had dark circles under his eyes. His full face looked different without his constant smile. Had Matthew looked that bad after Penelope? Perhaps worse because Brady was sober.