32 - Comfort

Victoria's desire to sleep for two days wasn't realistic. When she pulled into the driveway, her dad had Bear on his leash.

"Hey Vic. I'll take him for a walk."

"He needs breakfast."

"I won't be long. You okay?"

"Yeah. Long night."

She didn't want to cry on his shoulder about her heart wrenching shift. Her job was filled with more joy than sorrow, but the sad moments were hard. The mom was so brave, but April said she was in shock. As hard as it was, Victoria learned important skills. Her midwife was experienced and compassionate.

After she filled Bear's breakfast bowl, she took a hot shower but felt too numb to cry. When she tried to sleep, she couldn't, even after Bear snuggled against her.

Aside from the stillborn, she worried about Lily's breakfast date. She wanted to tell Matthew, but she had ignored him for three days. Need for consolation outweighed her desire for distance, so she called him.

"Are you busy?" She skipped a greeting.

He chuckled. "I was thinking of you."

"You were not!"

"I'm sitting waiting to board a plane."

She grinned. "How's your eye?"

"Intact."

"Will you be sitting in first class?"

"I told you it's the only way to travel, but I'm not sitting next to a beautiful redhead."

"I can let you go." Calling was a mistake.

"Vic, I have time. What's wrong?"

Her belly felt funny when he called her Vic. What was wrong? Where to start?

"Lily left the hospital this morning to meet the guy who would win the award for the biggest player. They're meeting for breakfast, but she has liked him forever, even when she was with Brady."

"Will she move on to this new guy? Is your OTL over?"

She let out a laugh that served as a tension releasing sigh. "He rarely keeps them for long. One and done is his style."

"Why are men that way?" The anger in his voice surprised her.

"I saw a picture of you last night. Did he have fun?"

"Fun. I'm not sure if it's fun when the family of the girl who broke your heart treats you like the favorite son. Their own son was visiting and Brady was the guy. I like her brother." Victoria had never met him, but knowing Lily's parents, it didn't surprise her. "Shouldn't you be sleeping?"

"I can't sleep."

"Because you feel guilty for deserting me all weekend."

"I'm confused."

"I already told my mum. I'm planning to stay on in the States past the summer. So what do you have to be confused about?" She released another nervous giggle, but didn't answer. After a pause, he spoke again. "Vic, sleep."

Afraid he would end the call, she blurted, causing Bear to lift his head and look at her. "I had an awful night. A stillborn."

"Bloody hell, Vic. I'm sorry. I can't begin to imagine what was required of you, but I know it must have been awful."

"It was." She cried for the first time since the scan confirmed the death of the baby in the womb. She cried loud and snot poured out with the tears. In her ear, Matthew's beautiful voice said words like sorry and I wish I were there. She was oblivious to the noise on his end, the endless announcements about keeping your belongings with you, as he walked away from his place at the gate.