looking out

"So we should preface this lecture by talking about the duality of a man. How sexism is morally bad! Objectively! Not subjectively even though morals are subjective because sexism is just bad!" Connie announced proudly as he paced back and forth in front of your dorm room couch with the notepad in his hand and pen tucked behind his ear.

"You just said a whole 'lotta nothing," Ashley remarked with her laptop on her lap, only glancing up to give Connie an odd look as she sat next to you.

You, Connie, Ashley, and Armin were all in your dorm discussing topics for the project that was due this Friday. It was currently Wednesday and you hadn't agreed on anything yet, Ashley say at the left end of the couch and you were on the right while Armin sat in the middle.

Connie paced back and forth slowly as he tried to convince you all on different themes you could discuss for your philosophy class that had an upcoming debate between the other students.

"Maybe we should-"

"No." Armin cut off with a sigh.

"I'm just gonna tell the professor this won't work and we'll all do some other makeup assignment instead. We've wasted five days already including the weekend, I don't have time for any more Connie lectures," Armin stood up from his spot and started walking toward your front door, Connie followed after.

"Well, I thought it was very intellectual-"

"Shut it," Armin cut off as they walked out together.

"Welp, the second week of college is already off to a great start!" Ashley remarked sarcastically as she shut her laptop.

"This sucks. Why did we agree to do philosophy again?"

"Don't ask me. I said we should all do a language class together but noooo Armin had to get all philosophical on us!" She stood up with her laptop in hand and walked toward her room on the other side of the living room.

"Well now, what am I gonna do? I'd rip my hair out if I failed the first semester,"

"Go talk to the professor in the morning. He's nice, he'll help," she muttered before closing the door to her bedroom.

It was already late, you made sure you didn't stay up as late as you used to because you hated being exhausted during class it just made things harder on yourself. Or acting on self-discipline was a lot harder than it sounds, having the willpower to not mindlessly scroll through your phone until three am should be considered a skill.

You got up off the couch in your pj's and walked to your bedroom to head to sleep. Self-discipline worked this time, now there was the hard part. Getting yourself to fall asleep, that was the real challenge.

After an hour of running back and forth through your night thoughts, you fell asleep around 11 AM, still a little too late for your liking but it was workable.

The next morning everything had gone smoothly but you got up a bit earlier to speak with your professor before class. There you were, standing in front of Professor Smith.

"What can I assist you with? Are you having trouble already?" He asked as he stapled packets of paper together after every three words.

"Well, the project you assigned...I made the mistake of pairing up with people with who I've never agreed within our years of friendship. But I really want a good grade and I would just like to know if I could-?"

"Switch? Sure, I've seen how well you're doing in other classes so this should be no problem. My best student is sitting over there...Eren!" He shouted quickly, gesturing his hand toward himself.