The Past

Abbreviations used:
F/n: Former Name
A/n: Author's Note
Italics: Inner thoughts

~᯽❥᪥ᴥ᪥❥᯽~

"The loneliest moment in someone's life is when they are watching their whole world fall apart, and all they can do is stare blankly."

~᯽❥᪥ᴥ᪥❥᯽~

Several millennia ago before the Archon War

F/n POV

It was cold. In this dark prison, not a single ray of sunlight can reach. The wretched smell of this prison I've stayed for... I don't know how long... Three walls made of bricks with enchantments cast, making it impossible for escaping. An opening with hundreds of bars placed vertically and horizontally. The ceiling and floor are reinforced with the same enchantments.

In the past, my captors would do whatever they could to break me and make me do their bidding. I didn't give in. It must have been days since then... maybe even months... They want me to kill the people who live here, the people that I was entrusted to protect. They would even kill them by torturing them in front of me, just so that I would give in. Humans are such fragile things... but they are also remarkable. I've seen hundreds die in my captors' hands. Sorry, 'die' not die. My captors never knew that they were still alive and in hiding.

Each time the people that were brought in, I give them a blessing in secret. Their souls would leave their body just before they 'die', the captors leave the body and I would heal their bodies. Their souls would then return. It would still be painful for them but at least they can live. Not a single person was caught a second time, so my captors never knew the reason why I didn't break. Perhaps they gave up trying.

I was in the middle of my cell, keeping my distance away from the symbols on the walls that would hurt me. The eerie silence broke when the door to the hallway for the cells opened. Correction my cell. The only torch in the room was lit up by one of my captors. The other captor held on to, I assume, another prisoner. In the dim light, I could only make out that the new prisoner was a male. My captors opened my cell and threw him in, landing a few feet beside me.

"Get comfortable you two. This time I'll make sure that you break. And no funny stuff, new guy, the walls are enchanted. Wouldn't want you to kill yourself." They joked as the two left.

The boy shuffled around trying to get comfortable. Once he was comfortable, the two of us sat in silence.

"What's your name?" I started.

"... Alatus.." he eyed me as if I could use his name against him somehow.

"Greetings Alatus, I'm F/n." Man, my voice is scratchy, when was the last time I talked? I probably sounded cold to him.

"..." He looks unsure of something. Oh well, not my problem. I doubt he's someone they want to kill, he's got an interesting aura.

My body is practically asleep since I haven't moved. So I easily drifted off to sleep.

~᯽❥᪥ᴥ᪥❥᯽~

A/n

I'm sorry it's so short. The next part will be soon! But I hope you enjoy the story so far! If you have any feedback, feel free to comment. Constructive criticism is welcomed!