Stranger or Friend

Abbreviations used:
Y/n: Your Name
A/n: Author's Note
Italics: Inner thoughts
Italics + Bold: Voices
Underline: Thoughts that Xiao can hear

~᯽❥᪥ᴥ᪥❥᯽~

"Sometimes all the words in the world can't describe what you're feeling."

~᯽❥᪥ᴥ᪥❥᯽~

Xiao's POV

Y/n rushed off before I could stop them. Ugh.. why are you so stubborn.. great.. now I have to get to Cloud Retainer before they do.

Cloud Retainer never did ask for Y/n. I just made that excuse so that I could keep an eye on them as soon as I 'came back'. Is it just me, or is Y/n avoiding me? Wait... they would never.. ... would they..? The more I thought about it, the more it didn't make sense to me. Ugh! I'll think about this later. I must reach Cloud Retainer first!

I passed by Y/n, making sure they don't notice me. When I reached Mt. Hulao, I called out for Cloud Retainer.

"Cloud Retainer!"

"Conqueror of Demons, is there something wrong?" The illuminated Adeptus came out from her domain.

"No, nothing is wrong. I.. need a favour.." I'm not one to ask for help.. so this felt a little weird to me...

"Speak, what favour do you need."

I explained the situation to Cloud Retainer as we went into her domain.

"Hmm.. one understands your intentions. One shall do you this favour. One thinks that you should investigate Adeptus Y/n's situation. If what you say is true, Y/n could very well succumb to the same fate as the others. It will be up to you, to do what is necessary." The other Yakshas... Y/n... I faltered. A pang of sorrow filled my heart. It felt like there was a hole in my heart. Y/n...

"You've requested to see me, Cloud Retainer?" Y/n called out. I looked out of the domain to see Y/n at the table facing the opposite direction. Suddenly, my heart felt like it was being torn apart. I raised my hand to my chest instinctively as I gazed at Y/n with feelings I couldn't understand.

"... Stay here, Conqueror of Demons. One will keep Y/n busy. One will come back to talk to you."

I nodded my head and watched her leave.

~᯽❥᪥ᴥ᪥❥᯽~

Y/n's POV

"Adeptus Y/n, you have arrived." Cloud Retainer flew out of her domain.

"What is it that you need?" I inquired.

Before Cloud Retainer could reply, a man in brown arrived. "Lovely to see you both." It's that man again. So it was his aura, his is the same as that of Rex Lapis...

"Who dares trespass the Adepti Abode." Cloud Retainer bellowed.

"Hahaha. Greetings, Cloud Retainer, Adeptus Y/n. I bring you some news."

"If I have to guess, Rex Lapis is not dead." I stared straight into his face. He wears a smile at my answer.

"That is correct."

"It's good to know you're not dead yet, Rex Lapis."

"Ahh.. so you figured. Not a surprise, since you can sense my aura."

"What is the meaning of this, Rex Lapis." Cloud Retainer asked.

"I am merely retired Archon. Now, I pose as a mortal known as Zhongli."

"Wait till I tell Xiao I was right." I joked.

"Ah, yes. How are you two doing?"

"With the Karmic Debt? Eh, nothing different."

"Take this with you then. These are Remedium Tertiorum." Oh, great- the disgusting medications. I took the bottle from 'Zhongli' with slight disgust.

"I'll be visiting Xiao later so I'll hand him his bottle."

"Xiao isn't at Wangshu Inn. In fact, he's closer than you think." Xiao is hiding the Cloud Retainer's domain. I knew from the start that he lied.

"Oh?"

~᯽❥᪥ᴥ᪥❥᯽~

A/n:
Underline: Thoughts that Xiao can hear

You know how Xiao can 'hear' everything.  He said he could hear the wishes written on the lanterns during lantern rite and can hear all calls for help. So yea, take it as that.

Y/n also knows that Xiao has this ability. Sorry to interrupt. You may proceed.

~᯽❥᪥ᴥ᪥❥᯽~

Xiao's POV

"Xiao isn't at Wangshu Inn. In fact, he's closer than you think." What!? Do they know?

'Xiao is hiding the Cloud Retainer's domain. In fact, I knew from the start that he lied.' Y/n's thoughts came to me. I-... ugh I hate it when Y/n sees through me.

"Oh?"

I stepped out of Cloud Retainer's domain.

"Rex Lapis." I greeted.

"Ah Xiao, just call me Zhongli. Here's your bottle of Remedium Tertiorum." I walked towards him and retrieved it.

"What were you doing in Cloud Retainer's domain?" He asked. Uh.. how do I explain it...

"The truth is..." I glanced in Y/n's direction. They have their attention planted on me.

'Xiao, I know you can hear me. Please don't tell anyone else about what happened in Mingyun Village.' Y/n sends a message to me.

"... I was following Y/n. I didn't know that they had sensed my presence." ...... I looked solemnly to the ground.

"I see. Well then, I should be going, I have yet to disclose the news to the other Adepti. Farewell, my friends." Rex Lapis - Zhongli - left the vicinity. That leaves me, Y/n and Cloud Retainer.

"... One sense that you two need to talk. One shall leave to one's domain." Cloud Retainer flew back into her domain.

I folded my arms, unwilling to talk to Y/n. I couldn't bear looking at them... not after what Cloud Retainer suggested.

"I'm sorry." They started.

"Hmph.. your apology is unnecessary and purposeless." What are they even apologising for?

"It isn't purposeless. I am apologising for attacking you back at Mingyun Village. ... I didn't know it was you." Y/n was agitated before calming themselves. Oh... that.

"It's not your fault..." I looked away before continuing, "it's the Karmic debt..."

"Whatever you say." They rolled their eyes before walking away.

"Are you avoiding me?" I blurted out without thinking. But upon hearing this, Y/n stopped abruptly.

~᯽❥᪥ᴥ᪥❥᯽~