24

Draco was currently reading to Faris in the dim lighting of the library, Faris was leaning against the window hugging one of the pillows while Draco read aloud. His eyes followed over the words but he had forgotten to pay attention to what the words meant.

    He hadn't been focusing on what he was reading for the past several pages, he didn't even remember what the title of the book was.

    Faris had picked it out, saying that her mum used to read it to her when she was younger. He had expected a smaller book but it was over six hundred pages of something about cinders.

    Cinders?- What the fuck- who the hell is Lady Tremaine? And what is so fascinating about soap bubbles?

    Draco continued on reading, this time paying attention. He quickly glanced at the cover scanning the title.

    What the hell is Cinderella?  It sounds like a disease of sorts.

    Faris slowly crawled over to him on the window seat sitting next to him cross-legged to see the intricate drawings in the book.

~*~

    Faris peeked over at the clock. The day was coming to an end as the clock stroked ten. Both of them were tired still, and they both deeply regretted drinking last night. Draco was about to fall asleep on her shoulder as his words slurred together.

    "Draco."

    "Hm?" He hummed into her shoulder.

    "Do you want to go to bed?" He nodded, putting the book on a small table, he didn't feel like putting it away. They both stood walking towards the other end of the library.

He rubbed his eyes remembering he had a gift for Faris. It wasn't much but he felt the need to get her something.

    "I got you something," he said as they trudged through the snow.

    "I did too, nothing amazing though," she said, giving him a sheepish grin.

    They stopped at the carriage door and Faris reached into her coat pocket pulling out a letter and a small stack of pictures. He reached into his own pocket and pulled out a small box and his own stack of pictures. They both traded their gifts, Draco smiling at the first picture in her stack.

They both slid their gifts into their pockets, awkwardly standing hardly being able to see each other in the dark night. Without thinking she slid into his arms hugging him around his stomach. He froze before wrapping his arms tightly around her.

It still came as a shock to Draco that she was hugging him. Yes, it seemed like they had hugged all of today and yesterday, but that seemed different to him. This had more meaning to it, he could tell.

Because at the Yule Ball they were dancing in a close embrace, and when they were sleeping they were so delirious they couldn't even control what they were saying. They had just grown comfortable around each other over the past two days. But he knew they wouldn't be that comfortable around each other when they woke up tomorrow.

The hug was quite meaningful to him. Yes, he loved all the close embraces spread from throughout the two days but this showed him she cared. Because their embraces over the two days were done off of alcohol and tiredness. This was not. This was different.

"Thank you." She whispered into his chest. He tangled his hand in her hair, she pulled away still keeping her arms wrapped around him. They had spent their Christmas taking risks, most of them not being the smartest decisions.

Fuck it, one last risk. You only live once, right?

Then he dipped his head down to hers and kissed the side of her mouth.