65

Transfiguration was to start in five minutes and Faris was dreading it. Draco was outside of the classroom with her, sitting on the edge of a windowsill, fumbling with Faris's fingers.

"If he gives you any trouble, I want you to tell me, okay?" She nodded as he pushed a strand of hair away from her face.

"What will you do if he does?" Draco shrugged, a small smirk on his face. "You can't hurt him," she argued.

He put his hands up in defense, "I won't hurt the jackass."

Maybe.

She gave him a sharp look, "Be nice to him, he already hates me, and I don't want it to get worse."

"I'm not going to make any promises, I'm not going to let him treat you like shit." Her mouth gaped open, but he only tapped the tip of her nose with a small grin.

Neville walked by the two of them, he gulped when Draco gave him a stern look, but Faris didn't seem to notice. She shyly waved at him and he, not to Draco's surprise, gave her the smallest of smiles.

Neville walked into the classroom and Faris turned to Draco with a gleaming look, her arms looped around his middle.

"Did you see that? He smiled at me!"

"I saw, love. You're much too nice to him."

"Maybe today will be better."

"God, I hope so," Draco groaned. Or he's in for it.

If he was rude to her today, Faris would know that Draco beat him up, the evidence would be on his knuckles and Neville's face.

Together, they walked into the classroom and Draco took her to her seat, and when he leaned down to kiss her his hand cupped her cheek and he looked over at Neville with a fire burning in his eyes. He pulled away but he didn't go far, his mouth was near Faris's ear and he was making her a promise, she blushed, trying her hardest to bite back a smile.

Neville automatically knew that whatever Draco had told her had something to do with him. It had to be a vile promise, Draco was good at keeping his promises.

Draco eyed Neville one more time before getting up to leave.

Faris pulled her book out of her bag and the assignment, Neville folded his hands in his lap and cleared his throat.

"Um- how are you?" He asked.

"Oh . . . I'm good," she replied, her eyes slightly widening at his kindness. "How are you?"

"Good."

The bell rang and McGonagall came parading out of her office, papers in hand.

"Today, I hope that all of you can achieve the vanishing spell and by Friday, master it." Thorough instructions were written on the board this time, the instructions included a demonstration from the Professor.

Neville leaned over but kept his face toward Professor McGonagall. "Hey, I'm sorry about your mum," Neville whispered, his eyes briefly meeting hers.

Her eyes widened in the slightest. "Thank you," she murmured, she didn't know what else to say. The words that came out of her mouth felt awkward.

"My parents- they were tortured by Death Eaters. I guess I'm just trying to say that I get it."

Her face softened, she had no idea. In a way, it explained why he was so quiet, to live with the idea that his parents were put in pain to the point of near death. It was frightening.