Percy: choices of the heart

Percy POV

I was on a date with Annabeth. Wow...I never thought I would even think those words after everything that had happened but well here I am. As much as I cared for Annabeth, I felt my attention wander and her pure undying affection for me was making me more uncomfortable than anything else. While Annabeth went off on a rant about her new responsibilities as a goddess of architecture, I felt my mind wander.  For reasons I can't explain, I couldn't get Reyna off my mind. Her voice, her smile, her laugh. I cared for Annabeth too but...

I must have uttered a very loud sigh because Annabeth redirected her attention onto me.
'What's wrong seaweed brain?' She asked, concern visible in her grey eyes. Suddenly, I felt utterly repulsed by her presence and just wanted to get away from her and to Reyna as fast as possible. I tried to register these new feelings and try to think about why I had them; but every time I tried the desire to be with Reyna seemed to grow stronger and my mind foggier. I took a deep breath and then spoke.

"Annabeth I don't know if I'm ready for a relationship with you. After everything that has happened and the war going on, I just think this is all happening a bit too fast.' She scowled immediately 'who is she?' ' Wh-what?' I managed to stutter out but Annabeth stood up and yelled" After everything we have been through, after seeing I didn't betray you, this is what you put me through? Fine then Percy, choose. Me or her." She then stormed away angrily before I could even try to placate her. While I felt like I was obligated to go after her, I couldn't help flashing to Camp Jupiter.

I found Reyna in the stables, brushing the mane of a white Pegasus. "Hey Percy," She said smiling. "I'd love to talk but after I finish up here I've gotta head to the senate house.' Suddenly I felt as if my feelings for her and grown just by being in her presence. I managed to stay calm and began to speak.

"It's important Reyna, can we talk?' I queried. ' Of course" She responded as she put down the brush. "So what's going on"? She asked as she sat down on a crate of horse feed. I took a deep breath and just asked what was on my mind. "Well I was wondering if you would like to go out with me?' She gasped, clearly startled by my proposition. ' Percy I had a huge crush on you once, but you are dating Annabeth and I have strong feelings for another guy... I'm sorry." Reyna then stood up and began pacing around the room. She was clearly unnerved by my idea and she refused to meet my eyes but I could see she was blushing faintly.

That was the signal. Alright time to play my last card. I informed Reyna about the prophecy and told her that a relationship between us may be key to it. "There's too much at risk here; it can't be so bad to go out with me for the sake of saving the world can it?" I asked teasingly but with a slight tone of sincerity. Reyna stares at me intently, "you're not making this up are you?" She spoke. I held her gaze and simply said no.  She took a shuddering breath before lowering her hands in an attempt to calm herself.

She paced around the room a few times, before she stood to face me and agreed to what I asked. One of the things that made me fall for her was her selfless sense of duty; but the tears in her eyes displayed her true feelings and surprisingly I felt such longing for her that I found myself not seeming to care now that I could call her mine.

Before I could say anything else, thunder boomed overhead. Zeus never had as much tact as some people give him credit for. It was time to go to Olympus.

Gaia POV
"Well done Eros". I exclaimed to the god knelt before me. "When the foolish son of Poseidon opened his heart again, he made himself vulnerable in a way he had never been before. By sowing discord between him and the other heroes, they will fail to put up adequate resistance to our plans."

Eros arose and bowed once more before departing. I reclined back on my throne, eagerly anticipating the coming storm.

(Will Eros prevail? Or are Percy and Annabeth destined to be? Read on to find out)