Chapter 2. The Hunter and The Prey

When the word spread throughout the yard, through the freezing air of the kingdom. The voice echoed itself between the frozen castle walls. Soon the sky was covered in specks of white mixed within the cloudy tundra sky, with more and more wings beats can be heard where many more lifted off to cover it even more. Every dragon who participated in the test only had a single objective in mind, to kill a white polar bear in the frozen white tundra.

And they all know where to get one.

Almost every icewing all from different ranks flew to the nearest arctic ocean, with no question asked whatsoever, why? Because that's where most polar bears usually hunt with the very populated fishes as many hunters came back saying so, with many saying polar bears most sighted in past recent times. Sometimes catching two or three grown polar bears, no wonder they were called hunters.

But winter did not hear this, not from his family in this case since he couldn't enter the council meeting and no one bothered to tell him after the meeting either. Adults and princesses only, for some reason. So how did he know? Well, it's his memories, as he encountered many in his lifetime on that beach and confirmed that statement was true when ear dropping from the hunters. And because it was stolen, off him from a higher circle. Among countless tests and hunts, they were what made him remember where he got those animals so clearly.

So clear that it kept him up all night...

But there was a problem with this tactic with it seems to be that winter and a few others knew about it. He realised immediately after being lifted off to the air why the teachers picked this animal... because of the seasons.

If this was in the middle of the year. It would be a snap to kill a polar bear, maybe even a matter of minutes like a flick of his talons. But that is when you can do it in the middle of the year, today it's near October. If you have done your studies, October is a time of the year when most polar bears went into hibernation, and sure you can kill a polar bear in its' sleep. But finding those caves and dens aren't easy, or even impossible if I'm saying the right word here. As they already adapt to hide from the ice dragons who hunt them. Go in ways to avoid being spotted, hide their cubs in the thick white snow with their camouflage fur.

They were smart, they adapted, just like scavengers with those weird contraptions, except none of the icewings don't hunt them for food. Winter thinks soo but he does not know, and he doesn't want to because he has a huge passion for them. And interest!

Since Winter was a very small dragonet, a long time ago, he can't remember. Besides that, he does remember how much he always wanted to study the small, clumsy scavengers when he first encountered them in the snowy hills not too far from a beach with his brother when he still had the fortune of being with him.

He just doesn't know why out of all the exotic animals he can find but he just does, it just is an interest to him more than the others. If he could, he wanted to study how they talk, how they walk with their tiny two legs and communicate with one another. Like they had their own language to speak in. Trying to understand the language was always fun for him, so maybe he would be able to study them and live an enjoyable life. If he was the one to decide.

Because that's no life for a royal. No matter how he wanted to, nobody would agree. He is a prince, prince of the icewings, and will leave too much at stake if he leaves or if he gives up now. His reputation, possibly becoming a hostage, kidnapping, and wow being royal presents a lot of risks. And especially if he doesn't get that white, cuddly polar bear that's for sure.

So that's what he is planning to do, for his sake in his family.

Well anyway, he knew they wanted them to fly there so they could thin out the ones who are weak in the rank, to get the strongest on top. So Winter played his cards differently and logically because he doesn't want that to happen to him. By going somewhere else, somewhere he could hunt in peace and focus without all these wings flapping in the sky so near him. Also, separated from the group from any dragon at all no matter who they are. He trusted many, and this time he won't get backstabbed, not in the way of his chances of finding a polar bear.