Chapter 5. Gem Beach

I'm... a captain now... he thought to himself as he exited the palace into the kingdom itself. The thought of being one never came to him until now and been thinking about it non-stop after his queen confirmed it. He is Captain winter.

By now when he left the sun was halfway gone from the kingdom. With students and dragons returning home from their hard work for today, animals went back into hiding, and lights started appearing from the houses nearby as he passed them down the same street he bumped into that icewing.

Including a tree, an animus-touch tree. Full of spectacular glowing snow globes in the dark from an animus from long ago that he has forgotten who. Mostly because he had other things to worry about. It's been years since icewings had any animus dragons, no centuries back when nightwings and icewings were still allies, friends even where they held parties in the icewing palace walls, and laughter can be heard from these parts of the kingdom. But now it seems that it was simply a lie, a twisted myth, a forgotten legend. Everyone except that dragoness who enchanted that tree saw hope and peace In those globes. The light in the darkness.

And so did he and his brother. Which winter has both in his room... ever since hailstorm left.

Winter after leaving, he wanted to have a midnight scroll, a small walk to reflect what happened today. He failed the test, went through his punishment again, becoming friends with someone unexpected, then leaving his friend Squall. Then most surprising of them all, he became a captain, and knowing justice was kinda served to that awful princess. All because he did something good instead of doing something he was supposed to do.

Being someone else, being the thing that his parents wanted him to be, like his father always told him. Be strong. Be vigilant. Strike first...

Those were the words from his father that always said to him when he did something wrong, making the first move to his opponent, attacking, defending himself from the barrage of punches that made him stay on the ground. Reminding him always to do what he said.

Yet since everything that has happened, he didn't do it, not when he could let lynx fail nor when he let squall hug him, a horrible action to the royal family, a disgrace.

But when he did, winter felt good to not do what his father said, he didn't feel bad for himself that he lost and failed. He felt... happy, joy... emotions that not that many icewings get to feel, with the passing days they were always becoming mean and cold because of society. Except for lynx...

Winter thought more and more, passing by some lamps, a few corners of buildings, and passing some dragons giving him looks who afterward whispered to themselves when he's gone. It was either 'How did he survive?' or 'It's that dragonet!' Those voices said where he could hear the soft echoes from the quiet street around him, followed with even more questions, and a few elderly muttered some insults that he couldn't make out.

He was fine though, he wasn't bothered about those remarks, because sometimes, or most of the time in bed. He also asked those same questions to himself. How did he survive five years ago? So long ago all he had was so little time. Was it pure luck? Or was it his survival skills that saved him? But none of his questions could satisfy him, and those that kept spinning every time he thought about it.

And he could never have an answer, no matter how he tried. Because of that line that his parent gave him, being the reason why he lost the chance to say goodbye to someone he love, with emotions, stopped him from going to his brother for the last time... before he was gone...

The sun was going down almost after a while of walking around, he decided to go to his room again, but then a thought came out of nowhere. A place that he had almost forgotten because he hadn't been in a long time. And today he decided he'll go, for old time's sake.