Chapter 13. The Battle for Hope

"There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in the storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man..."

________________________________________________________________________________

The light from the sky flashed over the terrain as she observed him lift his sword from his scabbard. The sky trembled to let out another magnificent roar with the thunder of a thousand icewings, the clouds began to rain poured down heavily as the animals whimpered out of sight where the wind started viciously to howl through the trees who they bullied, as well two soldiers which the breeze blew fiercely against their scales as they stood over the rocky landscape.

"Winter-?"

She spoke dazedly, but before she could say anything else, she faintly a soft hint of frost freezing up behind her.

A frosty beam abruptly shot in her direction, and she quickly reacts by throwing herself to the ground, dodging the sudden attack.

"WHO DARED-?!" She angrily yelled, scanning behind her trying to find the dragon who dared to use their Frostbreath at her. Until her eyes met with another dragon, an icewing that she knew too well wrapped in bandages all over his body, while holding onto a body, a body that he willingly risked his injured self to save.  

"Frost~" She hissed, gripping her sword as she was about to swing at him. 

But when she was about to, Frost with quick thinking picked up Silver's sword and held it up as strong as he could with his two talons as she misjudged her swing.

Surprisingly, it worked.

His parry was so strong the recoil sent her flying backwards, making her stumbled as she tried to get back on her talons. By the time she recovered, Frost was nowhere to be seen, along with Silver with only the pool of his blood that remained.

Mistral quickly scanned the area, to find out where they might go, to find a blood trail that leads back to the main camp and the legion. 

Letting out a fierce growl, furious about what just happened.

"Forgetting someone?" A voice spoke again with a much calmer voice yet aggressive voice, an overfamiliar voice that Mistral could remember from the first day he got here.

It was Captain winter.

The captain...

Everyone realised from afar who were all near the back of the camp, because of the loyalists of Mistral's legion.

It was him, he is alive...

"You!" The commander spoke in an angry voice, remembering him standing there, "You're still alive?"

"You have done enough Mistral." Winter said that last part bitterly, "five seconds..."

Mistral narrowed her gaze, calming down with her deep breaths turn into slow and paced, before smiling at him, "winter, winter, winter..." she said in a playful yet angry lullaby, making Winter stay more vigilant than ever.

"Just showed up out from nowhere, just a little too late." She glanced at the blood around her. "Should've known you wouldn't be dead that easily..." turning around fully as he came closer to her.

Winter's scales were covered in dirt and blood, but slowly washed by the raindrops which another gust of wind suddenly blew at their face, the weather was cold... just how she like it. 

"I'm gonna fight you... and I'm going to make this right." 

He said drawing his sword out from his scabbard, stepping closer covering his hind talons in the cold, sticky mud, and hearing a terrifying rumble across the sky. It was his time to make it right, it was time for him what he should have done earlier so lives could be saved, but her reaction completely muddled him.