Chapter 11. Confronting the Aftermath

The siege was a failure, the retreat was a complete disaster, the deaths were merciless, and the fighting was relentless.

The fighting that ranged near hours could be heard from the city of possibility, the explosions of dragon flame cactus rattled the streets, the echoes of swords scared the dragonets and the terrible screams.

Many of the citizens closed their stores because most of them are deserters and did not want the horrors of war to come back to them.

Including a fallen general, where his nightmares came back to haunt him again with the skywings. And he could do nothing but shut his window in his lonely home.

The rest of the dragons of possibility just couldn't stand the thought that there was nothing they could do, that they were helpless as the dragons who were being killed right in front of their doorsteps.

And as the 47th legion began to flee, the screams of victory over the deaths of their friends and brothers that they served for years together, perished because of a single order given out. Even though they retreated, the skywings lusted for blood, and their sergeant sent out patrols to kill the strugglers in the forest before they reach the main camp.

All in an act of revenge.

Leave no prisoners, just kill them all. Like rats in a maze.

Descending onto them, without mercy. As any unfortunate icewings that came across their path in the forest were quickly dealt with their weapons. Cornering them all to their very own camp.

All except for a prince, with a broken icewing on his back, he refuses to let go of his hope as the dragons who can breathe fire are chasing them right behind his tail.

~*~*~

"How do I lure them out now?" Mistral whispered to herself in her tent, holding a charcoal as she wrote down on a scroll "those bastards, hiding themselves top of the rank, they'll sent out elite guards for our defeat instead. Everything, all for nothing..."

In her anger she squeezed her talon too hard breaking the charcoal in two, before getting up putting on her cape as she exited her tent.

There must be another way to draw them out... but first I have to deal with them.

"Useless... USELESS SOLDIERS!" The commander shouted as the remaining soldiers gathered with many injured while listening.

"WE HAD THE ADVANTAGE, YET YOU COULDN'T TAKE OVER A SIMPLE OUTPOST?! MY PARENTS COULD DO BETTER IN THEIR SLEEP!" she yelled as none of them can stand up to her, as she has the power, while they do not. Their first battle against the outpost was a devastating hit for the 47th legion, with many of them being badly injured while others were dead or missing in action. And they could have lost more if it wasn't for their captain.

Captain Winter became a likable figure in the legion, as rumours spread with many of them seeing him help them while the commander did not. They knew he could have just waltzed away not caring in the world to save his scales as any royal would do. But he did not and saved many of them.

True there were still some that hated him because he's royal and thinks he's the reason why they failed... believing just so they could protect the dragons they love...

But even that most started to respect him for what he did, more so than this horrible leader. "THIS IS AN EMBARRASSMENT TO OUR NAME! LOSING TO SKYWINGS?! SHAME ON YOU!" She angrily barked at her legion. "DO YOU WANT TO BE DEMOTED IN RANK BY THE HIGH COUNCIL, OR BY ME?! DO YOU WANT YOUR FAMILIES TO BE TAKEN AWAY?! THEN THAT WAS A PATHETIC EXCUSE FOR SAYING NO!"

She walked around in a circle seeing everyone, more specifically. Her captain.

But she couldn't see him, or that lousy soldier who always ignored him but hung out with him anyway. She always thought they were cowards from the beginning from the first sight.