Chapter 3. Making a friend

Life is always twisted, in ways winter could never think of, ways that seem impossible from afar. But as soon as it became close to him, he could see it... and sometimes, they are good.

Winter did something that he would never have thought he could do. Never in a million years. Giving away the chance, a chance that could twist his life the other way to make his parents proud... but he doesn't regret a single thing. And he got what he was expecting.

After his meeting with lynx, he finally arrives at the kingdom, after gliding through the cold wind that carried him there in most of the flying. As his mind was thinking about something else.

Ignoring all the other dragons, who felt like ghosts flying by him that were flashing between his eyes. Too busy fearing a dragon waiting for him, and this time there is no second chance, just like the others.

No polar bear, no pride...

Many of them just came back from flying while others were waiting for the lakers to join the ceremony. A few guardians and a few parents were hoping for some to return with a polar bear in their talons, but most of them like teachers expected them to fail, as they have a detailed record of all their failures and accomplishments. And who would they guess to be in the top 30 out of every dragon standing on these grounds?

Him, prince winter of the icewing... What a failure.

So when he landed, and after wings tucked in as he slowly walked the path to his demise... they already expected and shook their heads. He has failed. Writing his name off the list, what were they expecting? How can a failure like him catch something like that at this time of the year?

But he did, but he lied, lied for the first time since forever...

For a friend, a friend who did something for him, someone who saved him from another fate that he'll never forgive himself if it wasn't for her.

Someone who he respected.

After landing and taking the small walk of shame to a platform where everyone was gathering after the hunt, he took a long time to get there because fear of his father kept him back. And that's when he noticed something, mostly the higher circles. The third and second circle, and a few fourth circles, had a dead polar bear in their claws. The majority of dragons who participated in the test didn't even have one, all looking miserable and sad knowing that they failed, like winter and its showtime.

But how did most of the 1st circle get all their polar bears? Aren't they rare? He exclaimed in his head, becoming very confused, something isn't right... He couldn't finish his thoughts, getting suspicious with the number of high-ranking dragons returning with a polar bear with little chance they could even find one. When they returned, the instructors went up the platform with the rest.

With some of the leaders and also teachers being here, all here to spectate the results. And besides the instructors, the queen herself was present, looking glorious and superior as always. This isn't a surprise as she is the one who decides the ranks.

And when they all were on the platform, they began to speak again.

"Congratulations, to the dragons who have succeeded in the test! As you are all here to see your results" The instructor called to the crowd of dragons, and the queen looked tired as she watched uninterested. "For the ones who did not get a polar bear, good effort but better luck next time. Now please, for all the ones who have gotten a polar bear. "Please come up to the platform and get your name marked." The instructor gestured, showing the same old wall with all the rank in the dragonet place beside the queen.

"And once again, congratulations because why not?! Now come up, we don't have all day"

He shouted once more to congratulate them again. As the crowd of dragons standing nearby watched amusedly when one by one came up to the platform where they all put their names and the ones who didn't get nasty remarks about them from the teachers because they don't care. Except for the queen, she remained quiet as she didn't want to hurt any of her subjects. And could start a mutiny, and she doesn't want that, neither did the main instructor. Her closest adviser and teacher did the same.