chapter 15

*devyn*
as i walked away from timmy i could feel his eyes staring at me, they felt like daggers examining my every move. i couldn't turn around now, i made a point and i needed to stand by it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

i was nervous my audition for a major a24 film was happening in less than an hour, i knew i probably wouldn't get a callback, but i needed to at least try.
i was wearing a black silk slip dress, that i thrifted a month ago, with my black converses. i put my hair in a claw clip, so it wouldn't be in my face and i headed off with my cream love on tour tote bag.
i kept repeating my monologue in my head, second-guessing every tactic i was using because i knew my monologue had to be perfect if i even wanted to dream of receiving a callback.
the monologue i chose was from the play a man's world.
as i looked at my watch i saw that it was 11:30, the audition was at 12 and i still had a 20
minute walk. i hate being late, which is why i left so early. first impressions are everything and i couldn't afford to ruin that if i seriously wanted to make it in this business.
i watched the bustling street as i continued my stroll. a woman in business attire was walking in front of me, her long brown hair was flowing down the long of her black, dancing in the wind. i watched her walk with haste and created a story about her life.
she had to be at least 24 and freshly graduated. she must have been trying to find a job and was on her way to the interview of a lifetime. she was running late which made her incredibly stressed.
she then turned right and walked into a hotel lobby, disappearing as the door closed behind her, a woman i would never see again, but who was just as alive and stressed as me.
i finally reached the location for my audition. as i entered my stress began to skyrocket. everyone in the room looked just like me, but prettier. this was the worst part about auditioning, the comparison. everyone was talented, everyone was pretty. but someone was the most talented, someone was the most pretty.

I went to the first table I saw and signed in, grabbing a sticker with the number 121, I was going to be here for a while... I placed the number on my chest and went to the bathroom. rushing into the big stall and staring at myself in the mirror. My hair had gotten tangled from the wind on the way here. I put my hands through my hair in an effort to untangle the knots and ensured my hair was parted right down the middle. I looked at myself in the mirror again. I can do this. I can do this.

I grabbed my bag and took a seat next to another brunette that was slightly skinnier than me, she was wearing a navy blue jumpsuit with black stilettos. I seriously hope she didn't walk all the way here in those shoes, my feet were beginning to hurt just looking at her shoes.

As I waited I could feel my leg bouncing up and down from anxiety, nothing had ever made me feel this way before, my entire life had led up to this moment and I was so nervous I couldn't even be happy that I made it here. I sat in the silent room of girls, waiting for the audition of a lifetime wondering if this was the industry for me. At that moment my phone buzzed, "break a leg😘"

How could he pretend that nothing was wrong, did he forget what just happened, how I couldn't deal with him constantly leaving me as if I were just another-

"121, we are ready for you."

shit, I turned my phone off and grabbed my bag, leaving it by the door before I walked in with a smile on my face, hiding how incredibly nervous I felt. 

The table had three casting directors. On the left was an older woman with blond hair and bright blue eyes, she seemed experienced as she sat there analyzing me. In the middle was a bald man drinking black coffee. He didn't even look up as I walked in. On the right was a middle-aged woman with curly black hair, smiling at me as I walked in. 

"Whenever you're ready," the man stated exasperatedly.

"Hello, my name is Devyn Adams and I will be performing a monologue from the play A Man's World by Rachel Crothers."

I stood there, preparing my moment before, but all I could think about was him and the text he sent, acting like he didn't just leave me for the past few months without a singular call. 

as I looked across the room I saw him, "I'm not talking about my ideals now," I began frustrated  staring at his smirking smile trying to desperately get my point across and explain why it would never work between us as he laughs, "ah that's just it," I took a beat coming toa realization as tears formed in my eyes, "I loved you" I then began to plead towards him " tell me, tell me you know it was wrong!" I began sobbing as I looked down at my hands and let them go.

I looked up at the casting agents' faces as they stared back at me, the man in the middle had tears streaming down his face, "thank you so much," I graciously stated before leaving the room. 

I then ran to my bag and grabbed my phone. pulling up my texts, "I did it, I DID IT!!!" I hit send hoping my mother would text me back congratulating me soon. 

I hadn't been this happy for such a long time, I walked the streets of New York with a pep in my step, watching the people around me with fondness rather than judgment or pity. 

As I sat in my bad I desperately awaited a phone call, telling me I got the role or at least a callback. I stared at the ceiling throwing a ball in the air and catching it, trying to distract myself from the nervous turnings in my stomach

An hour later my phone began to buzz, an unknown number came across the screen.

"hello," I began.

"Is this Devyn Adams," a man's voice began to ask.

"Yes, this is she."

"Hello, this is Craig Jackson and I am calling to congratulate you on your call back for our new film. Tomorrow Is our chemistry reading and you will be reading with the movie's love interest, Timothee Chalamet," my heart began to stop beating.

"thank you so much for this opportunity, I will be there bright and early tomorrow."

"see you there," he hung up.

I looked down at my phone staring at the earlier message from Timmy, did he know?