R

Disclaimer- I own nothing!

"GIRL!" The doctor said excitedly. Elena and Caroline's faces lit up in happiness, and I was beaming from ear to ear. I was going to have a daughter. A daddy's little girl. It was more likely for witches to be girls anyways, but then again, my mother gave birth to 7 children, and only 1 was a girl. I was ecstatic.

"A girl, we are having a girl!" Elena said happily. Things were starting to get much more real. Just then, my phone starting ringing.

"Hello?"

"Kol, I was on my way to stop by, none of us have heard from you in a while and I wanted to see my little brother before I have to leave for New Orleans." Elijah's voice sounded through the phone. I glanced at Elena, knowing it was time for the word to get out. She nodded and pulled her shirt back down.

"Okay, when will you be here?"

"In about... 10 seconds?" Within seconds the doorbell rang and Elena and Caroline were upstairs. Doctor Fell was packing her things and went out the back door as I opened the front door.

"Elijah, good to see you." I said as I invited him inside.

"What have you been doing, brother? We haven't heard from you in weeks." He asked, standing by the window.

"A lot has happened, quite shocking things, I must say." I told him, looking around confused.

"What is that sound? Why can I hear three other heartbeats upstairs. Two vampire, and one something else." He asked, closing his eyes to focus on the sound.

"Caroline, Elena, would you come down please?" I asked quietly, knowing they would hear me. They walked down at human speed, Elena close behind Caroline so as to not reveal anything.

"Hello Caroline, Elena. I see you aren't fully vampire again, that's odd?" He said, noticing her scent was off.

"Brother, Elena has not been able to complete her transition yet, but it will be soon." I said, watching as Elena still stood behind Caroline.

"And what is hindering her ability to complete the transition? Surely it should have happened already." Elijah asked curiously. I motioned for Elena to walk over to my side. She did so quickly, grabbing my hand, waiting for Elijah's reaction. "Impossible." He said, looking at her stomach.

"Not as impossible as you think, brother, obviously." I said with a laugh.

"How? I just saw you both two weeks ago." He asked, clearly confused.

"We were both human in the past, dear brother, however, the only reason why her body hasn't rejected the child and transtitioned back into a vampire fully, is because our child is a witch. She is protecting herself and her mother, only until she is born. Which is why Elena looks so far along. The child cannot hold off the transition for much longer, and has developed a thirst for my blood, and my blood alone. This allows the child to grow at a very accellerated rate, everytime she takes my blood. At this rate, our daughter will be born by the end of the week, if not sooner." I told him, giving him time for the information to soak in.

"You are having a daughter? A witch? By then end of the week?" Elijah asked, obviously in shock from the overload of information.

"Yes, Elijah. And our daughter is very powerful already, she has placed a protective aura over Elena, and is holding off the transition, as only a fetus, imagine what she will be capable of when she is older? She will be the Original daughter." I said, really thinking about it for the first time myself.

"And she will have the highest amount of protection available, as she will be part of the original family, she will be protected as such. I assume I am correct in saying you have not told Niklaus or Rebekah yet?" I felt an instant relief when he said the words, but as soon as he asked about Nik and Bekah, my relief was gone.

"Not yet, I know Bekah wanted to stop by and see Elena today, but I am not sure how to go about telling Nik. I don't know how he will react." I said, truthfully.

"Tell him the same way as you did here, you know how he is with family, he will accept her. He has accepted Elena, but this will be his own blood. Niklaus may have confused morals, but he does have a true heart for family, even if he does have a morbid way of showing it." Elijah said, instantly relieving me again. He walked over to Elena and put his arms around her, to give her a hug. I growled, low enough to where a human would not be able to hear it, but everyone here could. There was no shame in saying I was very protective over my wife and now my daughter, even if it was my brother hugging her.

"Kol, be nice, he is your brother." Elena said as she hugged him back. I was jealous, which was something I was not used to being.

"I never got the chance to officially welcome you into the family, Elena." Elijah said to her, ignoring my growls in protest.

"Thank you, Elijah." She said.

"Now that I have officially had a shock, I must say that I had business to attend to in New Orleans. I'm afraid I might not be back in time to see my niece arrive, but I shall try. Best of luck to you both." Elijah said as he walked toward the door.

"Goodbye Elijah and thank you!" Elena said from the door. I had to admit I was jealous of how my brother acted around Elena. And the fact that Elena was sent back in time while trying to find him didn't help either. Clearly I didn't know the entire story behind it. Nik had told me that Elijah was the mediator of sorts, and that he and Elena had negotiated and betrayed eachother several times, but nothing more. What made me nervous was the past I knew Elijah had with Tatia and Katerina, he fell in love with both of them. Had he done the same with my wife before I had come into the picture? I didn't want to know, but I had to.

"Elijah, may I speak with you a moment before you go?" I said as politely as I could.

"Of course, brother." Elijah responded and we both walked outside while Elena and Caroline flashed back upstairs. We walked far enough away so that I knew Elena couldn't hear. "I can tell something is bothering you, Kol, what is it?"

"Was there something between Elena and yourself before she was sent back in time?" I asked quietly, my voice low, not looking at him.

"Is that what this is about? Kol, I can assure you there was never anything between Elena and I. I respect her, and her compassion. I will not deny that she held a soft spot in my heart, but not in a romatic way. I fear I cannot seem to get over my past." Elijah said, letting his head sink with his words.

"Are you still on about Katerina? The evil bitch that has tried to kill her only living family several times, and uses men as toys to get what she wants? Elijah, there is much better than that out there." I told him, truthfully. He was an idiot if he thought Katerina loved him.

"She was not always that way, in fact she was much like Elena before Niklaus killed her family. Which is a big reason in why I accepted the terms in protecting Elena's family, I fear that if something happened to Jeremy, Elena would surely go down the same path. She now has you and this child, do not let her end up like Katerina." Elijah said as he turned to get in his car.

"She won't ever have to go through that." I murmered as he left, only a nod between brothers as a goodbye. I walked back inside feeling better about the situation, but worried about what Elijah had said. I had only ever known Katerina after she became a vampire, Elijah had spent time with her as a human. I would make sure nothing would ever happen to Jeremy, and she would surely have me for an eternity. I would protect our daughter with my life, but then came the question whether she would turn when it came time, or if she would remain a witch. I would not ever force the life of the damned on her, nor suggest it. I could only hope our daughter would live a normal life, grow up, get married, have children of her own. knew that was about 20 years away, but 2 decades was a like a blink of an eye for how long I have been alive.