Shiny Black Shoes

TW: mentions of eating disorder

I have experienced this very disorder myself and so have many others, please be mindful in the comments <3

Honey Ilona

The annoyingly loud sound of my alarm woke me up from my deep slumber, making a lengthy groan escape my lips. I didn't get back until late last night and wanted nothing more then to shut off my alarm and sleep in but I had to get up. I wasn't about to get fired because I needed a few extra hours to sleep.

I sighed and shut off my alarm, throwing the covers off my body and sitting up. I let out a big silent yawn, standing up to head to the bathroom. I gave Alena, who was still asleep, a gentle pat on the head before I closed the door.

I walked over to the shower and turned it on, adjusting it to the right tempreture before walking over to the sink, splashing cold water over my eyes to fully wake myself up while the water warmed up.

I turned around and pulled open the shower curtain, feeling the water tempreture just right and starting to peel off my clothes. As I moved to take off my shirt, I couldn't help but acknowledge how my shoulders ached, the pain felt as though it was burning.

I sighed and stepped into the water, dipping my head underneath the hot streams and feeling the slight tingle on my cheeks. I closed my eyes and let my body elope in the steam, letting my muscles relax.

I turned around and poured out some body wash, starting to caress my body with the lightly scented soap. I traced the outlines of my stretch marks, giving an extra touch to each one of them—I wasn't ashamed of them, it was proof of how far I had come in my life.

When I was 13 I had developed a eating disorder called Bulimia. I don't really know how it started, in my mind, I was doing whatever it took to loose weight—to not gain weight but didn't realise the affect it really had on my body and my mental health.

I struggled for five years and fortunately I was able to get the help I needed. My stretch marks were symbols of recovery, battle scars and I couldn't be anymore proud of myself. Sometimes, I'll sit in front of the mirror and pick out everyone one of my insecurities.

Like—my gut isn't slim, my thighs aren't skinny, my shoulders are slightly broad and I wasn't the prettiest of girls but overtime, I realised that it was ok to feel like this at times—just as long as I knew that at the end of the day—This was me, I was perfect in my own way and the others who thought differently...

Well, that's their problem. Not mine.

I spread a smile across my face, today was gonna be as good as I made it to be and I always pushed myself to be as positive as possible.

I finished my duties in the shower and wrapped a towel around myself. I stepped fork the shower and in front of the steam coated mirror, swiping my hand across the glass, I cleared a little spot so I could see my face. I smiled and turned around, opening the bathroom door and feeling as the cold air of my room hit my warm and still wet, skin.

The bathroom aired itself out as I got dressed into my normal attire. I walked around my room bare foot and noticed Alena was awake.

"Hey, baby" I smiled and pat her head. She let out a small yawn, covering her whine into my sheets as she dipped her head down. I let out a little chuckled and opened my bedroom door "Come on" I tapped my leg and watched as she sprung up from the bed and ran past my feet into the living room.

My eyes followed her body until she disappeared behind the lounge, then my eyes traveled along the floor and stopped at a pair of shiny black shoes. I froze, my heart beat stared to pick up slightly.