Witch

Honey Ilona

"Quel est el problème?" My mother asked as I rounded the corner out of my bedroom and into the kitchen where she stood cooking more food to store in the freezer.

Still, I didn't have the heart to tell her that I don't eat most of them.

"Nothing, mama" I shook my head and picked a grape of the vine from in the fruit bowl on the counter before leaning back on it.

"Oh, amour" she shook her head back at me "There's something wrong"

"Really, I'm fine" I assured her and plucked another grape into my mouth "Just had a bad start to a long day"

"Well, I won't bother if you don't want to talk" she smiled up at me "But I invited Jackson over for tea if that's alright?"

My eyes widened.

"Did he say he was gonna bring anyone else?" My thoughts immediately rushed to Vivian. There was simply no way I was having her in my apartment and no way I was making dinner conversation over the table with that witch.

"He didn't mention" she shrugged "But if he did, I'm sure it would be fine. The more the merrier"

Yeah I wouldn't speak so soon.

"Mama, you have to stop inviting people to my apartment without my knowledge" just as that sentence slipped my mouth, a knock came to the door and my stomach turned. If I open this door and Vivian is standing there, I will just close it again.

Slowly I walked towards the door and took a deep breath before opening it.

Thank Merlin.

Stood at the door was Jackson and Jackson only.

"Hey" he smiled. I returned his greeting and stepped aside from the door so he could walk in. As soon as he did, he immediately walked over to our mother in the kitchen and gave her a hug.

"Ay, amour" she smiled and kissed his cheek "Your poor old mother hasn't seen you in ages"

"I'm sorry, ma" he sighed, still holding onto her "I've been so busy with work and everything just keeps popping up at once"

"It's ok" she smiled and gave him one last kiss before letting him go "I'm still making dinner so you and your sister make yourselves scarce"

"Actually...honey?" I looked up at Jackson "Can I talk to you for a minute?"

"Ah... sure" I chuckled nervously.

Jackson led us both through the living room and into my bedroom where we were out of each sit from our mother. I walked in and he closed the door behind me. I turned around and sat on my bed, having half a mind of what this was about.

"So... you wanna tell me what today was about?" Jackson said after a moment of awkward silence which felt so crazy because he and I were always so close but lately, he's just been slipping away.

"Tell me what you know about Vivian" I said as he sighed heavily and crossed his arms over his chest.

"Clearly you have a problem with her so just bloody talk to me" he said in an annoyed tone which took me back since he usually never got annoyed with me.

"Tell me what you know about Vivian" I repeated, ignoring his tone and keeping calm with mine though deep down, his voice was upsetting me.

I wasn't used to my own familiar talking down on me.

"F—" he groaned "Far out" he huffed and turned around for a second to gain his composure before facing me again.

"It's not a hard question, Jackson" I said.