Chapter 6

[edited]

Persephone

It was already 6 in the evening when I got home, but confusion filled me up as I realized that mom hasn't gone back yet. The lights were still off when I entered the gate. Bakit hindi pa sya umuuwi? She usually goes home at 5:30. It's also just a Thursday so there'd be no traffic jam in this time of the day.

Shrugging my thoughts off, I entered the house and locked it behind me, in case na may pumasok. Hindi na ako pwede magpakasigurado, anyone can walk to anyone's house these days, it's scary. 

Dumiretso ako ng kwarto ko para magpalit ng pambahay na damit, went downstairs and looked through the fridge and saw nothing. Kulang na lang ng sapot ng gagamba sa loob para kapani-paniwalang walang taong nakatira dito. 

At dahil sa walang pagkain, I decided to sit on the living room and open the tv to make some background noise. Kelan kaya uuwi si Mom? I'm starving. 

I grabbed my phone and tried calling her but the operator said her phone was busy. What the fuck bro.

Groaning, I went upstairs again para kumuha ng pera at magsuot ng oversized jacket para naman matakpan yung suot kong crop top and shorts. I'm already too lazy to change into something else, besides, I look decent.

--

I stopped at a nearby McDonalds, in which I saw the boys from school. I don't know if I should join them, I'm scared that I might ruin their fun because of me basically being an outsider in their group. I feel like I might just be a bore in their group. 

They all looked so happy, the wrinkles in their eyes never failed to become visible whenever one cracks someone up. It's like the positive vibes is being passed down to one another and then everyone gets infected with it.

sana all may friendship

"Careful right there, honey. Your drool's about to drip," I whipped my head to the sound of the voice and faced with that jerk at school. His lips were close to mine and I couldn't help but let my heart race as I found out close proximity intimidating. 

Masyadong close, blondie. I might not be able to breath.

"Out of all the places that I can see you, why here?" the response he gave me was a nonchalant shrug, having me roll my eyes at the annoyance I feel towards him. "What do you want to eat?" tanong nya bigla sakin, I walked to the counter with a small smile at the male staff who returned my smile with his cheeks blushing.

I didn't fail to see him roll his eyes in annoyance before glaring at the poor man in front of us. 

Nag-order ako ng meal na kakasya lang sakin and paid for what I bought. "Hey, wait for me!" sigaw niya sa'kin ng humanap ako ng upuan where we won't be seen by my friends. I sat down and started eating my fries, sighing and smiling in content as I tasted the warm and lightly salted taste of potatoes. 

I was already enjoying my dinner until he came up to me and sat beside me. 

"Seriously dude, what do you want from me?" 

"I just want to eat with you! You seem lonely" he winks and I gagged. "Damn, you can gag on something else if you want to— if you know what I mean" I am glad to have mastered the art of keeping a stoic face and a resting bitch face, for when in troubles like this, you can shut the person up with just a peek of the glare of death. 

He suddenly drops his smile and stuffed his face with the burger he bought and I continued eating. The quiet yet, surprisingly, comfortable air between us made me feel somewhat relaxed. I didn't really want to eat alone. I hate eating alone, that's why back there I always do take-outs whenever me and my friends won't be able to eat together. 

After our meals, I quietly sipped on the coke that I reserved while looking at the street outside. The cars were a lot, there were different colors and brands of cars that passed by the fast-food restaurant, though it isn't that loud inside.

Buti na lang nagdala ako ng jacket, kung hindi nilamig na ako ng sobra ngayon. 

"Do you live alone?" 

I looked at him with a raised eyebrow, "I live with my mom, for now." sabi ko bago ako tumingin ulit sa labas, "though she almost always disappears whenever job calls her" I shrugged, not wanting to say anything else. I heard his chair move, making me look at him and see him sit in front of me with a look I can't read. 

"I live with Harry, the guy I was with earlier," he tells me, "if you've noticed" he adds with a slight chuckle and I nodded. "Yeah, I saw the both of you enter the first class earlier," 

"What brings you here? Mom's not home again?" 

"How dare you call my mother, mom?" 

"Oh— shit no, I don't mean it that way—" 

"Calm down, I'm kidding. And yeah, she's not home." 

"Did you drive here alone?" 

"Seriously, what's all with these questions?" turning around to face him, a small scowl now replacing my teasing smile moments earlier, I am again filled with curiosity as to what he really wanted from me. "Are you trying to get me laid?" 

"Damn, how did you even guessed— ow! I'm sorry!" he laughed as I smacked his arm, already shielding himself as I raised my hand again, "I just wanted to say sorry, for how I acted earlier, it was... immature" 

That's weird. I thought he wouldn't apologize for what had happened earlier. It was just a small thing though, but still, he apologized, "is your pride really hurt, that's why you came up to me and gained the courage to say sorry?" I laughed, making him all flustered and chuckled as well. 

"No, I just don't like being harsh with girls, really." 

"I'm sorry for shouting back at you and headbutting you earlier as well," smiling at him as I set my empty cup on the table. "I guess you could say I over-reacted earlier, truce?" I held up my pinky finger and watched as our pinkies intertwine with each other. 

What a night.