Chapter 12

Persephone

I leaned back at my couch, feeling drained as I found my heart shattered at the look Haechan gave me at the hallway the other day. It's now a saturday and we're supposed to be hanging out at his house and playing overwatch, but here we are, ignoring each other over a misunderstanding. 

That fucking asshole? I gave him a hard slap before trying to look for Haechan at the school as he ran away from the scene that I was in the other day. I tried looking for him, I swear to Odin. Even though my tears were blurring my sight that day, it didn't stopped me to go and look for him to apologize and explain that it was just a misunderstanding.

I felt sick to my stomach as I remembered how he looked at us that day. 

A groan left my mouth as I tried to stand up from my couch and grab my laptop to continue doing the group research we were asked to do. "I hate that asshole, why did he even have to do that?" tears brimmed my eyes, my teeth biting my lower lip as I tried not to spill my tears from the thought of Haechan not wanting to give me a chance to explain for myself. 

"Why does it have to happen to me?" I mumbled before burying my face on the pillow from the couch. "Why does he have to be such a fucking asshole?" bursting in tears, I let the pillow muffle the sounds of my sobs. 

ring. ring. ring.

I sniffled as I pulled away from the pillow, looking at my phone on the coffee table. It was my mother. 

I didn't hesitate to pick her call up and prepared myself to tell her about what had happened in my weekend, but I guess I won't have to tell her anymore. 

"Persephone, I'm leaving you on your own now. I can't take care of you anymore. You're already old enough to take care of yourself, I'll just send you money and directly put it in your bank account so that you can pay for the house, the bills and your school bills," her monotone voice rang through my ears, my heart shattered more at the sudden news that she told me. "Persephone, are you listening?" 

"H-how could you, mom?" a broken sob left my mouth, my tears were now flowing freely, they streamed down my cheeks as I covered my mouth as I tried to find the words that I can tell her. "After dad? Really? You shouldn't have let me live instead!" I found myself raising my voice at her through the phone. 

How could she do this to her own daughter? 

"Am I even your daughter?" The loud sobs turned into a silent cry, finally, my heart felt numb as I pressed the phone on my ear, trying to listen to what she's going to say. "You're... my daughter. But I can't take care of you anymore, I'm sorry." 

"You're sorry? Sorry for what, mom?" I bitterly scoffed at the sound of the word that rolled out of my mouth, "I'm not calling you my mother anymore. No mother leaves their child for no reason at all. If you've found someone else and had built a family, then why don't you just say so? Why don't you break my heart— WHY CAN'T YOU JUST LET ME DIE." sobs broke out from  my mouth. 

"From this day onwards, I don't have any parents. I don't have a mother. You and dad are dead to me." 

With that, I ended the call and threw the phone to the bottom of the staircase that lead to the second floor. 

What have I done to get this? 

--

Monday came again and I gathered all the courage that I have in my body to stand up and take a bath to go to school. I know that my eyes are all puffed up and the best thing is that I did not care one with how I look. 

As I set foot at the school, I let my head hang low as I walked to the locker near Haechan's. With just the name itself, it felt as if my broken heart lost another piece when it was shattered to the ground yesterday. 

"Hey, seph, what's wrong?" I heard a voice ask me, to which I found out to be Yuri and the two other girls. Their hands felt so warm on my cold skin and as I laid my worn out eyes on them, I couldn't help but to throw my arms around them and sob on them. I didn't care if anyone saw me bawling my eyes out in the hallway, I just lost everything that I had, I thought I had my mother turns out that she's going to be the one who would fully break my shattered heart. 

"Let's get you somewhere quiet, seph" 

--

Haechan

The boys laughed at the joke Renjun just told us, the other boys were laughing but I could only give him a fake laugh since it was corny joke. "Funny joke, Princess Bubblegum" he suddenly shut his mouth as I gave him a smug smirk before sticking my tongue out. 

"You little shit—" he was held back by Jeno and Jisung, making the rest of us laugh as we went back to our normal selves as we talked about different things. I was not really listening at what they were talking about, because my mind drifted off to the day I saw her with that asshole. 

That should have been me. 

I take care of her better and does he not have that dog that follows him around except for two classes that she's not with him? It's surprising that she's not throwing a fit every time she's separated with him. Talk about being clingy. 

An elbow nudged me too hard, making me glare at  Chenle who was already looking at me and pointing at something with his head. There she was, the person that I was trying to avoid. I rolled my eyes at her and started walking away when I heard loud cries that came from her direction. 

A painful pang in my chest suddenly appeared as I found myself looking at her hugging her friend tightly with fresh tears coming out of her almond eyes. It hurt me seeing her crying, as though her heart had been broken to ashes. 

What has that tiny little booger done to my girl? 

I tried walking up to her, but her friends had already walked away from us and the ringing bell halted me on my tracks. Jisung placed his hand on my shoulder and looked at me with a small, sympathetic smile. "Let her be, hyuck. Let's go to class first." 

With what he said, I gulped my worries down and threw my backpack on my shoulder as we went to our first class with my mind on the girl that cried her heart out shamelessly in public. 

As I sat in my class, I found myself not listening or cracking up jokes with the professor like how I usually do. I caught myself thinking about how she was feeling, what had happened to her and why she bawled her eyes like that in public. 

My heart felt painful as I thought about her being mad at me, but that probably isn't the problem, right? She's not going to leave me for that jerk, right?

 I can just hope that she still wants to be close to me even after what I had witnessed.