Chapter 2: Faded Memories

Alec is making himself busy by doing all the possible work in the Institute. He's been walking back and forth from his office to the weapons room, back to his office, then to the garden, back to his office again, then back to the weapons room. Isabelle, on the other hand, is starting to get annoyed by her brother. She can't ask Jace for help because ever since Clary threw him back through a portal, Jace has been occupied by thinking how can he get back to where Clary is.

"Alec, could you please stop meddling with people's work? Everyone's busy and here you are, can't even stay in one place."

"I'm already done with my work, I just want to check on everyone if I can do something for them." Isabelle sighed and placed down the equipments she's holding. Alec's been pre-occupied since the incident with Magnus and obviously he's trying to keep his mind from thinking about that.

Even though he won't admit it, Alec's bothered by the fact that Magnus chose to forgot everything about them - about him. When Maryse told them that she got the chance to talk to Magnus and turns out their hunch was right, Alec's been different.

All he wanted when he made that deal with Asmodeus is to make Magnus feel whole again; to make him happy and be himself again. Alec readied himself to feel Magnus' hate towards him for breaking up when Magnus was at his lowest but what Alec didn't expect is this. Alec was ready for the rage, the pain, the hate, the loathe but not for the possibility that Magnus will choose to forget their moments together, the happiness and pain they shared together, forget him - them.

"Alec," Izzy regrets saying those things to her brother - that he deserves it if Magnus did really forgot about them. Now, she doesn't even want to talk to him in fear of hurting Alec more.

Before Alec can speak, he caught a fire message that was slowly approaching him. And even before he reads what the message is about, that familiar handwriting already gave him an idea who the sender is.

"Who is it from?" a lump was starting to build on Alec's throat. Answering Isabelle should be easy, cause why not? It's only one name, two words with three syllables.
"Alec?"

"It's uh, from Magnus."

"Magnus?? What did he say??" Alec cleared his throat, hoping that it'll help him to speak clearer.

"It is addressed to 'Mr. Alec Lightwood, Head of the New York Institute'" Isabelle felt the pain from Alec's voice reading how Magnus addressed him - too formal as if the two never met each other.
"He uh, he said he's willing to meet me to formally introduce his self as the High Warlock of Brooklyn"

"Will you. . ." Alec smiled bitterly and slowly nodded.

"If this is the only way I can talk to him, why not? It's better than nothing."

"Oh, Alec. . ." Isabelle rushed to her brother and hugged him. She can only imagine the pain Alec's going through, and maybe by hugging him she can let Alec feel he's not alone.

The same night, Alec sent Magnus an invitation through a fire message and invited him to the Institute. He doesn't care if Magnus will find it weird that he only invited the representative for Lilith's Children and not the other representatives of Downworlders. This is not a cabinet meeting after all, this dinner is not a formal meeting to discuss alliances between Shadowhunters and Downworlders, this dinner is only to grab the opportunity he has to see and talk to Magnus without breaking the deal with Asmodeus.