Epilogue: To Us

"Thank you." Alec handed back to the Shadowhunter standing in front of him the reports from the Institute of Buenos Aires regarding a recent demon attack.

He sighed. Being the new Inquisitor is a lot more complicated, more workload and more things to think of than being a head of an Institute. A year after Sebastian's attack, Alec was promoted to being an Inquisitor for the Clave. But of course, he didn't accept the promotion without asking for a few requests. Like bringing Magnus to Alicante.

Alec turned to the picture frame on the right side of his table, it's a picture of him and Magnus on their wedding day. It's exhausting reviewing all the demon attacks, concerns of Shadowhunters and of course, concerns of Downworlders all over the world. Thankfully, seeing Magnus takes away already his tiredness.

They have come a long way from where they began. Alec, along with his siblings — Jace and Isabelle — and his Downworlder friends, changed how the Clave sees the Downworld and allowed the changes to be made by giving one Council seat for each Downworlder representative.

A knock brought Alec back to reality. Being the Inquisitor also meant that you will hear a knock on your door every now and then. It is a non-stop music Alec used to hear everyday ever since he accepted the position.

"Come in."

"Mr. Inquisitor." Alec looked up and saw Luke. He looks very different from how Alec first met him. They met when Luke's still the leader of New York Pack, but now he's back to being a Shadowhunter. Runes, new and faded ones, can be seen all over his body.

"How was Brazil?" a smiled formed in Alec's lips. Luke and Maryse's relationship surprisingly worked out. Both came from a heartbreak — Luke losing Jocelyn and Maryse getting cheated on by their father — they're now happy together, having a healthy relationship.

"Humid."

"My mother hates humidity." Luke chuckled while Alec frowned. He have known Maryse all his life, and Alec knows his mother isn't a fan of humidity.

"Oh, but she loves the beaches. Have you seen your mom on a paddleboard? She is a vision." as Luke excitingly tells Alec about his and Maryse's experience in Brazil, Alec can't help but to be surprised. Surely, love can bring out something you never thought you could do.

"Luke, thank you." he remembers the day Maryse fully accepted Magnus as part of Alec's life. But seeing you stand by Alec, it's what every mother wants for their children. Thank you for loving my boy. Those were Maryse's exact words. And Angel knows how happy he was that day to finally see his mother and his other half get along.

And now, seeing Luke stand by Maryse, seeing his mother truly happy and can be whoever she wants to be around Luke, that's what he wants for Maryse.

"My mom used to be firm, strict. After the Uprising she imprisoned herself, dedicating her life to the Clave, thinking that she still needs to pay every day of her life because of what she's done. Then after her deruning, I can feel she's still devastated. You changed that." even if Maryse kept saying that it is only just for her to be deruned because of her actions against the Clave during her time as a Circle members, her children — Alec, Isabelle, Jace, and even Max — can feel that she isn't fine.
"Thank you for staying with her."

"Even Maryse and I never imagined that we would end up the way we are now today. It must be fate that our paths once again crossed." Luke began. He and Maryse were never really close even in their Circle days. Luke only joined because of Jocelyn and Valentine, while Maryse joined because she believes in Valentine's distorted beliefs. Then Luke became a werewolf which made their feud worse.
"You know, I never thought I'd see the day. Deputized Downworlders working hand in hand with Shadowhunters? It's amazing."