Chapter 3: The Risks to Take

Magnus stopped from doing what he's doing when a knock was heard from his front door. He wasn't expecting anyone especially at this time, it's past 9 in the morning and all he wanted was to sleep first after his father left his apartment last night.

Ever since that day, Asmodeus has been with him and the demon has no plans on permanently leaving Magnus not until he'll completely convince the warlock to reign Edom with him. Asmodeus told Magnus to keep the Pentagram open so he can travel back and forth from Edom to Earth.

Now that Lilith has been sent to the Void¹, Asmodeus has now Edom under his control. But sooner or later, if Magnus won't join him and Lilith will come back, Asmodeus will once again be back to being Lilith's second in command.

Everytime Asmodeus will leave Magnus's place, he'll send one asmodei² to keep an eye on his son and of course, on the Pentagram.

Magnus groaned when the knocking didn't stop. He waved his hands to open his front door, then Catarina walked in.

"My dearest Catarina, you know I love you but at the moment, I'm hating you with all the years I've lived." Magnus once again groaned in frustration. He's just wearing his red silk robe and currently lying on his couch, playing with Chairman Meow³.

"I just want to check on you, Magnus. I didn't hear anything from you since you got back from the Institute. Thankfully Maryse Lightwood told me you're back in your apartment."

"Oh, yeah, right. Everything seems weird ever since that day. The Lightwoods, the vampire, —"

"This lizard," Catarina added when she noticed the iguana.
"You never liked reptiles, why is there one here?"

"You wouldn't want to know." Magnus stood up from his seat, went straight to his mini bar and prepared himself a drink.
"Margarita? Vodka? Tequilla?"

"No, thank you. But I'd rather have coffee, I just got out from duty." Magnus frowned at her. He's never really a fan of making coffee, he rather have his coffee magically appear in front of him than making one.

Magnus snapped his fingers and viola! A coffee appeared on the table in the living room, in front of Catarina.

"Why bother buying one if you won't use it?" Magnus followed Catarina's gaze and she's looking at the coffeemaker on his island table with two mugs on the side.

"Oh? I have one? Why did I even bother buying that? I don't even know how to use that." concern starting to form in Catarina's eyes. She knows Magnus doesn't have the patience and the heart in doing some things in mundane way and the only reason why Magnus have those kinds of objects in his apartment is because of Alec.

"Magnus," Catarina placed down her cup of coffee and stared at her friend, who's casually drinking liquor at nine in the morning.

Catarina can't think of the perfect question on how she'll get the answer she needs. She needs to ask the right questions or else Magnus might take a hint on what she's doing.

"How did you met Clary Fairchild's friends again?"

"You mean the vampire?"

"Yeah. And the Shadowhunters."

"I can clearly remember the vampire, not his name tho. I remember he's a mundane that was Turned by Camille. For the Shadowhunters, I can barely remember them. But, as far as my perfect mind can remember, I first met them when they returned the necklace to me then we tried to retrieved Clary's memory from Valak but it didn't go quite well since one of them secretly likes the other. . . Young love, ew." Catarina took a sip of her coffee. Magnus clearly remembers how he first met Alec and the others, but up to what extent? What are the memories he remembers and what are those he doesn't?
"Why?"