Chapter 4: Memento

"Will he be okay?" Isabelle's currently sitting on the bed beside Alec. He's been unconscious for about an hour now since the extraction of memories. They don't even know if it was a success or it turned out like Magnus's.

"Izzy, come on. Anytime the Seelies will be meeting Jonathan and Clary in exchange for the Morning Star sword. Now's our time to use the Glorious to free Clary from Jonathan." Jace, too, is worried for his parabatai, but the worst is yet to come if Jonathan can finally lay a finger on that sword.

"But Alec —"

"I'm fine." all of them turned their heads as Alec spoken up. He slowly opened his eyes and saw his sister sitting beside him, looking so worried; Jace and Simon standing next to each other and then Catarina, sitting on the other side of the bed.

As Alec tries to sit up, his body felt heavy as if he's been on a battle for few days straight. He feels like his body is full of bruises, his head is spinning as if he's been using portal, jumping from one place to another non-stop.

"Are you. . . Did you. . ." Izzy doesn't seem to know what's the right question to ask. Are you okay? Of course, he's not. Not with everything that's happening — Magnus; Jonathan and Clary; the war that's coming — no one's okay. Did you also forgot Magnus? Hell, if that'll be appropriate to ask.

"I'm fine, Izzy. And thank the Angel, I still know who Magnus is." everyone in the room sighed in relief. That's all Catarina needed to hear before she leaves.

"And since I now know you're fine, I'm going to head to Magnus's. I'm going to find a way how can I make him drink this. Let us all hope for the best."

"Thank you, Catarina. I'll forever be in your debt."

"No, Alec. No one's in debt. Magnus is a very dear friend, and I also hate seeing him like this. . . Besides, I do like you for him. And doing this, helping you two to get back together, it will be me who'll owe you a lot." Alec's heart fluttered. He may not met Ragnor Fell, one of Magnus's closest friends, at least he met Catarina. Who, thankfully, likes Alec for Magnus.
"Magnus is a lot — LOT to handle. And I'm thankful someone's taking that burden off of me." Alec chuckled at Catarina's remarks. Of course he knows that Magnus is a lot to handle. But that Magnus is Alec's Magnus, and it will still be a pleasure to take care of him after everything.

As Catarina left, all the Shadowhunters in the room started preparing for the battle they're about to face as they're gonna ambush Jonathan and Clary's meet up with the Seelie Knights.

Alec knew Catarina will try her best to help him and Magnus, but Alec still can't get himself to focus. He knew he needed to concentrate on saving Clary and dispatching Jonathan along the way but his mind isn't cooperating with him.

"Hey," Alec turned and saw Jace behind him. The look on Jace's face shows pure concern for his parabatai and something between being apologetic and-or being ashamed. Maybe both.

Between the three of them, Alec seldomly shows and act on his emotions. Alec, as the eldest, always had his façade on for his siblings and his parabatai. He's always been the rational one, the total opposite of Isabelle and Jace. The two, despite being a Shadowhunter and believing in their saying: 'emotions cloud judgment', Jace and Izzy always listen to their feelings.

"What's with that look? What's the problem, Jace?" Alec's forehead furrowed. Jace usually always say what he wanted to say but looking at him right now, he isn't the usual Jace.

"I know I've been occupied thinking about Clary and this whole Jonathan thing. You know. . . Since Lilith; me being the Owl; Clary being kidnapped and binded with Jonathan, then she got back and then Jonathan had her turned to him. I haven't uh. . . I haven't apologized to you, especially to Magnus, yet."