An old adversary - Part 8 - Tony Stark x Reader

Now I am going to give you a warning for this chapter, as it involves PTSD. I know what covering this kind of thing can mean to a lot of people, as I myself know what it is to be terrified. To be scared when you experience certain scenarios, sounds, places, and even smells. So, if go through this too, just know that you are not alone. That said, I hope that you all enjoy.

(Y/n) held her hands over her ears, as the sound of gunfire rang out. She should have known that this would happen. That her refusal would not be taken lightly. But she had not expected this. She had not expected them to send him. (Y/n) dodged his bullets, flattening her back against the wall. Her body shaking from the thud of the projectiles hitting the barrier behind her. The impact of some of the bullets almost taking her breath away.

She had tried to contact Watson, but no matter what she did, she couldn't raise him. The professor presuming that the assassin had been able to disable him somehow. So now, all that stood between her and Hydra getting what they wanted, was the technology that lay under her skin. The CEO of Pandora Enterprises hoping that her designs were as good as she believed.

Suddenly, the wall behind her exploded. The blast sending her flying through the air. Her body hitting the floor with a sickening thud. (Y/n) finding it almost impossible to breath, as she dragged herself along the ground. Sure, that one of her ribs had punctured a lung. That she could feel the warmth of her blood, as it tricked down from a deep cut in her head. The excruciating pain in her legs that were refusing to move. But despite everything. Despite the fact that he had been sent to kill her, she had to admit that he was good at what he did. That if she was to die at the hands of the best, then she would feel no shame. But that said, she still wasn't going to go out quietly.

Then, without warning, the chaotic scene fell eerily quiet. The professor turning to see the faceless killer make his way over to her. His form only stopping when he was stood over her. His gun pointed at her head.

"I'm not going to beg for my life, soldier. I'm not stupid enough to think that it would make any difference, even if I did. I know that Hydra sent you because you only know how to do one thing. Kill. But I would ask that you at least do me the honour of letting me see the face of the man behind the feared name. That you let me look into your eyes." (Y/n) told the man that loomed over her like some evil, black spectre. The assassin appearing to muse for a moment, before dropping his gun to his side. His free hand reaching up to take off his mask. His goggle joining it on the floor, before he raised his gun once again.

"Thank you." Was all (Y/n) could say as she looked up into his dead blue eyes. The professor hoping that the distraction had enabled the systems in her body to fire up enough to protect her. Her hand reaching up to cover her face as the sound of a shot rang out. The world she knew, fading to nothing but black.

                                                       >>--------------------------------<<

(Y/n) sat bolt upright in bed. She and the bedding were drenched in sweat. Her heart pound so violently in her chest that it felt as though it was going to explode. Her lungs burning, as she desperately gasped for breath. In her mind, he was still in her home. He was quietly stalking through the rooms to get to her. The faceless assassin once again doing the bidding of his masters. Quickly she threw back the soaked sheets, her hand reaching for the gun that she always kept in the bedside table. A gun that had been there since she had recovered from his last attack. And once her feet had touched the ground, she was off. The door to her bedroom thrown open, before she ran through the penthouse suite looking for somewhere, anywhere that could be safe. She could hear the bullets whiz past her head. She could hear the sound of his cold, controlled breath. But this time she wasn't going to go down so easy. This time, it was the soldier. Hydra's assassin that was going to die.

                                                         >>-----------------------------------<<

Watson looked up as he heard the shouts. The biohybrid cyborg jumping to his feet and racing out into the large apartment. It had been so long since she had had the dream. So long since she had been haunted by the events of that night. So long since he had had to rescue her from the terror that was invading her mind. The personal assistant not knowing quite what had brought the nightmares back but having a feeling that whatever had transpired between his friend and Stark, had been the catalyst.

"Miss!" Watson called out, as he made his way through the rooms. The cyborg stopping as he entered the main lounge. His eyes growing wide, as saw his creator sat in the far corner. Her knees pulled up to her chest. The gun in her hand waving frantically in all directions, as she looked around the room, seeming to see things, or should that be someone, that only she could see.

"He's here! The soldier. They've sent him for me again. He wants to finish the job. But this time I'm ready for him. This time it's me that's going to kill him." (Y/n) called out, as she desperately tried to get as much air into her lungs as possible. The gun pointing straight at Watson's head as he tried to move closer. His friend not even seeming to recognise him.

                                                         >>----------------------------------<<

Tony groaned, as the cell phone on the table next to his bed began to vibrate. The billionaire choosing to ignore the irritating sound, when he saw the lateness of the hour. But whoever it was, was proving to be persistent. His number being called again and again.

With another groan, Tony turned back over and reached for the phone. The billionaire suddenly wide awake as he saw that the number belonged to (Y/n). And given what he had learned earlier that day, he had a feeling that he better answer.

"(Y/n)? Is everything alright?" Tony asked sleepily. Finding himself sitting straight up in his bed, as he was answered not by the professor's voice, but by that of her assistant.

"Mister Stark, I require you at the professors address, immediately." Watson informed him. Tony quickly getting out of bed, as he heard the sense of urgency in the usually calm cyborgs voice.

"What's going on? Is (Y/n) ok?" Tony continued, as he pulled on his t-shirt. Not liking the fact that (Y/n)'s right hand man still hadn't told him if she was alright or not.

"No, Mister Stark. (Y/n) is not alright. As far as she is concerned, the Winter Soldier is in the house, and trying to kill her. And as I believe that your conversation with her may have brought back the nightmare. I would suggest that you are the one that should fix it. Or else!" Watson informed him. The cyborg growling angrily, before hanging up the phone. Tony racing out of his room and making his way down to the garage.