The apprentice - The Hobbit - Part 9 - The Durins x Reader

(Y/n) made her way through the great halls. She wanted to cry. Wanted to let the floods of tears that were building up behind her eyes, break through the damn that was holding them in place. She wanted to run to Dis. To Fili and Kili. She wanted to throw herself into their arms and tell them all that had happened. But she would not give Ilde the satisfaction. Give Thorin the satisfaction. She had foolishly hoped that the king had asked her to dinner for some reason other than to speak to her about her work and Master Gunri. But now, now she realised how foolish that hope had really been. Of course, it could be nothing more than her work. Nothing more than him wanting to give her his commiseration for the loss of her father. Thorin didn't know her. Had never seen her. He had only agreed to look at her work out of respect for an old dwarf that had helped him with his own smithing. A great king could never think anything about her, other than the fact that she was a lowly blacksmith. And not even a dwarven blacksmith. She was just an ugly mortal, that didn't have a whisker on her chin. It was only right that Thorin would look to a dwarven lady to love. That he wouldn't be interested in her. But why did it have to be Ilde that he loved? Why out of all the ladies that were returning to the Lonely Mountain, did the most beautiful dwarf in the whole of Middle earth, have to love a cruel and devious creature such as Ilde?

(Y/n) had seen Ilde in the past. She had heard how Ilde would speak to dwarves that she believed were below her. How Ilde would growl and demand, as if she was owed by others. Yet (Y/n) had also seen how the female dwarf would then change her demeanour, to be sweet and innocent when she was around Dis or her sons. And it was something that made (Y/n) dislike Ilde all the more. To (Y/n), a dwarf was a dwarf, be they royalty or a miner. And as such, all should be treated with the same respect. Yet the lady didn't seem to see that. And once, she had even dared to shout at Gunri after he had delivered her a dagger. The so called lady, stating that the work was not good enough. That she wanted more. Deserved more. Gunri doing something that (Y/n) had never seen before, when he had thrown Ilde's gold back at her feet, took his dagger back, and walked away. The mortal apprentice realising how mad her father must be, given that no dwarf ever liked to be separated from their gold. Yet despite the fact that everyone else seemed to know what Ilde was like, Thorin had obviously been fooled, and lost his heart to the self-entitled dwarven lady.

Finally, (Y/n) reached the entrance to Gunri's forge. The apprentice opening the door and quickly making her way inside. The torch on the wall still flickering softly, as she took a seat on the small bench. (Y/n) chastising herself for letting her mind be taken from what was important. She had come to the Lonely Mountain for one reason. Her father. To help him in his forge. To watch over him in his advancing years. She was not there to concern herself with the king. Not there to have her head filled with ridiculous notions that Thorin Oakenshield would want to know her. Idiotic thoughts, that he could ever love her, as much as she loved him. But she was not going to let it happen anymore. (Y/n) could already hear the sound of Gunri's voice chastise her. She could already hear in her mind, the old dwarf telling her that she had work to do. And that was exactly what she was going to do.

Getting back to her feet, (Y/n) pulled at the gown. The material pooling around her feet, as she reached into her large bag and pulled out her tattered old clothes. The coarse shirt and breeches feeling like home, as she put them on. This was what she was, what she would always be. She didn't need gowns, or her hair made to look pretty. She was a blacksmith, nothing more, nothing less. And that was alright by her.

Making her way over to the furnace, (Y/n) found some straw, and laid it on a small shovel. The mortal apprentice taking the flint from her pocket and striking it a couple of times. The tiny sparks suddenly igniting the hay. (Y/n) taking the small fire to the furnace and placing it at its heart. She would now have to keep her eye on it for hours. She would have to nurture it. Keep it alive. Feed it, and watch it grow and get stronger. Like a parent watching their child. And when it was ready. When the tiny flames had become a raging inferno, she would begin her work. She would begin to take her final steps towards becoming a master.

>>----------------------------------<<

Kili raced towards his mother's rooms. The young prince not able to believe what he had just seen. And given that, he knew that he had to tell his brother, his mother. Then the three of them could try and think of a way to fix this. The three could go and find (Y/n).

"Mother.........uncle.........Ilde........walking........(Y/n)." Kili blurted out, as he burst through the door to his mother's apartments. Dis and Fili's eyes flying up to look at the panting prince. Neither of them able to make head nor tail of what Kili was trying to tell them. The dark haired dwarf desperately gasping for air, as he stood in the doorway.

"Kili? What are you talking about? Where have you been?" Dis asked. Giving her youngest son a quizzical look.

"I was going ta go ta uncle Thorin's rooms, ta see if I could hear if he and (Y/n) were having a good time. But before I could get there, I saw him being dragged along by Ilde, doing her usual trick of trying ta talk him into marrying her. I rushed ta his apartments, but no one was there. I don't know where (Y/n) is." Kili finally managed to explain, as he dropped into a chair next to the fire.

"It is simple. (Y/n) will be in the forge. When all is said and done, she is her father's daughter. I can only imagine what happened. Only imagine how she felt, if Ilde went in claiming that Thorin was already hers. The poor young thing must be heartbroken......." Dis sighed. The lady hating that Ilde had ruined everything. That the first chance that her brother and the mortal had had to be together, had been spoiled by the dislikeable female dwarf. That given how stubborn (Y/n) was, this could take some fixing. Yet Dis knew, that if her brother, if (Y/n), were ever going to be happy, then it was up to her and the boys to do their best to make this work. To make Ilde regret what she had done.

"We should go and see if she's alright." Fili said, as he moved to get to his feet. His mother catching his hand and pulling him back down.

"Not now, Fili. I have a feeling that she will be too busy. She was going to bring her father's forge to life, and that is what she will be doing. Tomorrow, when the fire is established, we will go and see her. And we will fix this." The lady assured, as she smiled at the two boys. Both of them knowing from the twinkle in her eye, that their mother already had a plan.