An old adversary - Part 10 - Tony Stark x Reader

Tony had finally got (Y/n) cleaned up. Persuaded her to let him wash her face, her arms and legs. Removing the thin sheen of sweat that covered her skin. Finding her a change of clothes and a small bottle of medication in the cabinet, that after a little research on his phone, he had found were sleeping tablets. Tony talking her into taking a couple of the small tablets, before carrying her to bed. (Y/n) refusing to let him go. Refusing to let him leave her. The billionaire lying behind her in the bed, and combing his fingers through her hair, as he continued to assure her that she was safe. That there was no one in the apartment but the two of them.

Carefully, he had moved away from her, as it became obvious that they pills had finally taken effect. Tony making his way back into the main room. His eyes surveying the scene, knowing that it was going to take a lot to fix up the mess before (Y/n) roused from her slumbers. But he had promised. He had told her that when she woke up, that all this would be gone. That she wouldn't be able to tell that anything had happened.

Taking his cell out of his pocket, he called a number. The phone ringing for a few moments before a sleepy voice answered.

"Boss?" Happy's croaky voice answered. The head of Stark security unsure of what Tony could want at such an ungodly hour.

"Happy, I need you to get to Professor (Y/l/n)'s apartment now. There's been a small incident. Oh, and we might need some contractors." Tony informed the confused man on the other end of the line. The billionaire ending the call before Happy could ask him what the heck a "small incident" could possibly mean.

Slowly he made his way over to Watson. The hybrid cyborg still staring blankly into the war zone of a room. Tony crouching down in front of (Y/n)'s right hand man, clicking his fingers in front of his lifeless eyes.

"See, this is the problem. If you had chosen the name Sherlock, instead of Watson. You might have been smart enough to deduce what (Y/n) was going to do to you and avoided it." Tony told him. Deciding to mess up the usually slinked back, neat hair of the cyborg before making his way to the only sofa that wasn't covered in bits of ceiling and broken glass.

In a strange way, it was nice to see that (Y/n) wasn't as perfect as he thought. That she was probably as fucked up as he was. That she had her demons just like he did. (Y/n) just able to deal with them in better ways than he had. But the billionaire was also able to see that she had hurt herself as much as he had. That where he had turned to alcohol, fast cars and even faster women, (Y/n) had taken to using herself as a human guinea pig. To put herself through all that pain to ensure that her inventions worked as they should. Admittedly, it had been those innovations that had saved her from the Winter Soldier in the first place. But still, he could only imagine that what she had gone through must have been close to the pain he had felt with getting his arc reactor to work properly. Tony deciding that all this, as bad as it undoubtedly was, had made him like her all the more. Had make him realise that they were much more alike than either of them would ever admit.

A sudden knock at the door forced the memories, the realisations from his mind. Tony getting to his feet and making his way across the room. Opening the ingress to a rather dishevelled looking Happy. The big man's hair looking like he had been dragged through a hedge backwards. He tie askew, and his shirt collar open. Tony doing his best not to laugh, as Happy tried his best to pretend that this was all quite normal.

"Boss I.........." Happy began. Finding himself pulled into the large room. The head of security not knowing what to think, as he looked at the mess and the inanimate cyborg on the floor.

"What the hell................."

"Like I said, a small incident. I told (Y/n) that it would all be fixed before she woke up, sooooooooo do what you have to make that happen." Tony explained. Slapping Happy cheerily on the shoulder, giving him one of his usual smiles, before leaving the confused man to wonder where the hell to start, as Tony made his way back to the bedroom to check on (Y/n).

Tony took a seat on the bed next to (Y/n)'s slumbering form. His hand reaching out and brushing her hair away from her face. Despite what had happened earlier, she now looked back to her normal self. Her skin back to its usual shade. Her cheeks back to their usual fullness. Tony sure that he had never seen anything more beautiful. Carefully, he pulled back the covers, and slowly moved his body back under them. Chuckling softly to himself when (Y/n) moaned, as he placed his chest up against her back, and wrapped his arm around her.

All those years ago, when they were competing against one another at MIT, he would never have imagined for a moment, that one day he and (Y/n) would end up like this. That they would have come together in such a way. That he would be there to protect her against the horrors that dwelt deep in her mind. Promising to keep her safe. To not leave her. But he had, and now that he had, he swore to himself that he wasn't going to go back on that promise. That he didn't want to go back on that promise. Knowing that as Bruce had told him, he could definitely do worse than (Y/n). He could definitely do worse than an intelligent, beautiful woman like the one currently in his arms. A woman that could keep him in line and didn't take any of crap. In short, the perfect woman for him. Tony's eyes closing slowly, as (Y/n)'s gentle breathing lulled him back to sleep. The billionaire telling himself to let (Y/n) know all that, when they both woke.