The Ishtar's daughter - The Hobbit - Part 4 - Thorin x Reader

I am more than happy to admit that I completely and utterly adore Thorin. He is the dwarf of my dreams, so I make no apology for writing this chapter. 😄 Hope you all like

Thorin slowly got to his feet, as the others watched the wizard and Balin talk. The heir to the throne of Erebor more interested in why the Ishtar's daughter had disappeared into the dangerous depths of the dark woods that surrounded them. The prince hoping that he could follow her without being seen. Without arousing her attention. Thorin knowing that the conversation between the old dwarf and the wizard would probably take some time. Especially now that they had both started puffing on their pipes. And he most certainly wasn't in the mood to wait for answers.

Carefully, and as quietly as any dwarf could, Thorin pushed his way through the branches. Hissing slightly, as a sharp twig dug into his skin. Admittedly, it would be easier if he were carrying a torch. A burning branch from the fire. But he didn't want to advertise his presence, and a crackling flame in this eerie dark, would announce him being there, more than his blundering around in the night already was. So, all he could do, was keep following his nose and hope that it led him to (Y/n).

He had not been sure what to think about what he had seen her do earlier that day. Just like Dwalin he had not liked the idea of taking orders from the apparently young female. And part of him had even been scared for her. After all, fighting wargs and their riders usually took the whole company. Yet when he had seen the look in her eyes. When he had realised that she was willing to face the evil creatures alone, in order to protect he and the others, he couldn't help but think that she was something special. That that "something special", had nothing to do with the fact that she was Gandalf's daughter, it was because she was the most unique creature that he had ever met. Not to mention the most beautiful. Her dark, sometimes almost black orbs seeming to be able to look into his very heart. Yet that said, he still wanted to know what she really was. To find out how she had been able to do what she did. To know that she would not turn against the company. That she would not betray him.

Suddenly Thorin stopped. A soft warm glow appearing from the gloom, as he pushed through yet more low hanging branches. The prince taking a deep breath before he moved forward again. His hand settling on the hilt of his sword, just in case he had stumbled across a group of orcs and not the Ishtar's daughter. Thorin's eyes growing wide as he moved to the edge of a small clearing. (Y/n) at its centre, kneeling on the floor. Her form surrounded by small fires. Strange symbols in the grass, the likes of which he had never seen before, glowing brightly as the Ishtar's daughter stayed motionless. His heart jumping into his throat, as without warning, (Y/n) opened her eyes. The orbs glowing as brightly as a thousand fireflies, as she pulled a dagger from her belt and placed it in the palm of her hand. Thorin continuing to watch, as she drew the blade across her flesh. Blood as black as that of the orcs, dropping into the fire in front of her. The flames hissing and spitting as drop after drop fell into its heart.

                                                          >>-------------------------------<<

"Thirteen for the dwarves. One for the thief. One for all. One for each. A shadow to watch over. A shadow to keep. The night to protect. The gloom to conceal. The dark to safeguard them, and never reveal."(Y/n) said quietly, as she counted each and every drop of blood that fell into the flames. Her each and every sacrifice to protect those with whom she was travelling. She had to admit that she had already grown to care for those in the company, as she had watched over them from a distance. For every dwarf and their little thief. All of them so different. Each having their own little quirks that had made her want to laugh. The two young princes making her laugh so hard at one point, that she had nearly fallen from the tree in which she had sat.

If anyone had told her, before her father had saved her from the followers of the dark lord. Before he had been able to bring her back to the light, that she could care enough for a bunch of dwarves and a halfling, that she would be willing to give up her own blood, she would probably have run her dark sword through their heart for the slur. Yet now, now she was happy to give whatever she could to protect the company. To protect him. The Ishtar's daughter having seen into his heart. Having promised not only her father, but also herself, that she would help him reclaim what was rightfully his. A small smile pulling at the corner of his lips, as she sensed his presence. As she sensed that he was watching her every move.

                                                          >>---------------------------------<<

"Thirteen for the dwarves. One for the thief. One for all. One for each. A shadow to watch over. A shadow to keep. The night to protect. The gloom to conceal. The dark to safeguard them, and never reveal." Thorin heard (Y/n) say quietly. Fourteen drops of blood being counted out before she wrapped her hand in a piece of cloth. The prince looking around, as she suddenly disappeared. Leaving only a dark mist behind.

"You know that you really shouldn't spy on people, don't you.......?" A voice came from behind him. Thorin turning on his heels to find the female right behind him. Only to have her vanish once again.

"It isn't very princely." (Y/n) continued. The Ishtar's daughter chuckling, as the prince frantically looked for her. Finally locating her in a branch above his head. Only for her to disappear one more time, before reappearing right in front of him. The two almost toe to toe.

"If you wish to know what I am doing, Thorin Oakenshield; it would be better to just come and ask me. I have no secrets from you." (Y/n) added, gesturing for Thorin to follow her back into the clearing. The Ishtar's daughter patting the ground next to her, as she took a seat on the grass.