The apprentice - Part 10 - The Hobbit - Kili x Fili x Reader

"We can't go in there." Kili mumbled, as he and Fili held their ears to the door of the forge.

"What? Why not?" Fili enquired. His brows furrowed in confusion at his brother's words.

Dis had sent the two boys out to speak to (Y/n), while she went to speak to her brother. The dwarven lady knew that Thorin felt nothing for Ilde. That in truth, Thorin disliked the horrendous Ilde just as much as everyone else. But because her father was an important Dwarf from the Iron Hills, the new king under the Lonely Mountain was doing his best to be diplomatic when he tried to tell the self-righteous Ilde that he wasn't interested in her. And that he certainly had no intention of marrying her. Yet Ilde had never taken well to the word, no. She had never liked being denied the things that she wanted. And more than anything, she wanted Thorin. So, she had continued to force the subject. Even telling others that the braid in her hair had been placed there by Thorin. Yet everyone knew different. Well, everyone except (Y/n). So, now the boys would have to make (Y/n) see, that whatever Ilde had said the night before about her and Thorin, couldn't be further from the truth. And Dis would have to persuade her brother to try once again to tell the mortal apprentice how he truly felt. Not that she suspected that it would take a lot of persuading.

"That is a bad clang." Kili replied to his brother's question. The strange answer only making Fili more confused.

"Bad clang? Kili. What are ya talking about.................."

"Listen ta the hammer falls. Ya can always tell what kind a mood (Y/n) is in from how she hits the metal. The clangs sound different." Kili explained. Fili pushing his ear back up against the door. Doing his best to listen to the hammer as it hit metal. The older Durin wondering how his brother knew all this.

"I used ta sit in the forge and watch (Y/n) work when ya were running errands fa mother or Uncle Thorin. Gunri never minded, as long as I didn't stop (Y/n) from doing her work. That was where I learnt it. That the strike of the hammer coincided with (Y/n)'s moods. Her feelings." Kili began to explain properly. Fili grumbling at the fact that while he had been racing around the Blue Mountain's doing jobs for his mother and uncle, Kili had been able to spend more time with (Y/n).

"When she was happy, the clang of the hammer would be lighter and more frequent. It would go along with a tune that she would always hum. But when she was mad. Like the day that I made her fall off this fence and into the pig pen, well then, the clangs are strong, forceful and deliberate..............."

"And is this one of those days?" Fili interrupted, as he tried his best to interpret the sound of the hammer strikes.

"Oh no. This is much worse than that. Much worse. This is the 'don't mess with me, or the next thing that I will hit with my hammer, will be ya head' kind a clang." Kili told his brother. The dark haired dwarf shuddering slightly, as he heard another loud clang.

"The last time that I heard that noise, it was because of Ilde, too. One day I was watching (Y/n) work, when Ilde came into the forge. She was looking for Master Gunri, and (Y/n) told her quite respectfully that he was out and would be back later. And that perhaps she should return in a little while if she wanted ta talk ta Gunri. And that was when it began. I had moved into the shadows so that Ilde couldn't see me, so she had no qualms about telling (Y/n) exactly what she thought of her. She was vile, Fili. Worse than I had ever heard Ilde before. She was cruel for the sake of being cruel, and it was obvious that she was enjoying every minute of her tirade. She told (Y/n) that she was an ugly mortal. That Gunri should have left her ta starve on the street. That she wasn't good enough ta live among dwarves. That she should return ta her own kind. And worst of all, Ilde told her that she would never be a smith. And certainly not a dwarven smith............."

"And what did (Y/n) do?" Fili interrupted. The blonde dwarf neither shocked nor surprised that Ilde would say such things.

"Nothing. She just stood there, tall and proud, and took it. Took all the bile and venom that Ilde was spitting at her. Her face never showing a sign of emotion. Never giving Ilde a sense that her words were having an affect on her. I had never been prouder of (Y/n) for being able ta do that. And when Ilde was finished, all (Y/n) did was nod respectfully and tell Ilde once again that if she wished to see Master Gunri, that she should return later. And that was when I heard it fa the first time. That same clang. The clang that told me that (Y/n) was imagining that she was hitting Ilde's head with her hammer." Kili told his brother, as he continued with his story.

"Why didn't ya tell me about this?" Fili asked. Feeling slightly hurt that neither (Y/n) nor his brother had ever mentioned this before.

"(Y/n) asked me not ta. She said that it wasn't the first time that Ilde had said those things ta her. That she was used ta it. That she knew if I told ya, we would come up with some prank to get Ilde back, and (Y/n) didn't want to let Ilde think that anything she had said had hurt her." Kili replied. Giving his brother and apologetic shrug, as he looked up at him.

"Well, that's all very well and good, but what do we do now? Mother said that we had ta come and speak with (Y/n). Ta tell her that Uncle Thorin wants nothing ta do with Ilde. We can't talk ta her through the door." Fili said, as he slumped against the wall.

"I know............I suppose that we could go in. All we have ta do, is hope that (Y/n) hasn't got anything close ta hand, and her aim isn't as good as it used ta be." Kili answered, as he stood to his full height, took a deep breath and slowly pushed on the door. He and Fili both poking their heads tentatively around the ingress. The duo looking at one another as they saw (Y/n) swing her hammer. Their eyes growing wide as the sparks of molten metal flew into the air. The two princes getting a feeling that persuading (Y/n) to listen to them, might just be a little more difficult than they would hope.