A Life Never Lived

"Y/N... Y/N!"

I opened my eyes, seeing Ace looming over me with a soft smile. He held out his hand and I reached out to grab it.

He held me close to him, smiling down at me with his hand grazing my cheek. "You're beautiful..."

I put my hand on his and pressed it up against my cheek as I nuzzled against it. It was so warm... and rather large compared to my hand.

"What about we just go and visit a nice restaurant together and make the most of it? ...I'll pay if you really want me to."

He turned back. "Is that alright, Oyaji?"

"You don't want Thatch's cooking?"

"Aw, come on, Oyaji! Let the kids have their fun."

I giggled and held Ace's arm. "We'll be back by sundown, okay?" Ace and I looked at each other and shared a short chuckle as we ran off the Moby Dick, hand in hand.

We stopped by a restaurant not far from shore that Ace practically sniffed out.

"You promise you'll pay?" I gave him a skeptical look but looked back down at the menu.

Once we got our food, I eyed him, making sure he doesn't face plant into his food like he does all the time. "You sure you won't fall asleep?"

"Come on, it's quality time with my girlfriend! Why would I-"

I deadpanned at the limp body of Ace as his face was buried in pasta. "Well then." I looked away and began nibbling at my food. "'Oh, hello there. No, I do not have a boyfriend. Would you like me to come with you?"

Ace shot up and glared in my direction, expecting to see a guy flirting with me. "Oh... you just- okay."

I laughed and kissed his cheek. "You're so cute."

As we walked out, I intertwined my fingers with his and felt the warmth of his touch as he pulled me a bit closer.

But... I had this terrible feeling in the pit of my stomach.

And I had it for a reason.

"Is that... the ship...?" I questioned just above a whisper. I gripped Ace's hand and ran up to the ship I called my home, engulfed in flames and the fire still raging on.

"It's only a matter of time until it sinks, we need to-" I felt a yank on my arm and I turned to see that Ace had been pulled away from me by a black mist. And I knew exactly where that came from.

"ACE!!"

I tried running after him but a large figure plummeted down in front of me. "You're not interfering." He said.

"Y/N!!" I heard Ace call out from behind him. It echoed through my ears as I stepped back with Akainu's magma fist raised at me.

"Y/N!!"

•••

"Y/N!!"

I woke with a start and grabbed the closest person to me, which was Haruta.

"Are you alright?" He asked, concern in his tone and painted on his features.

I stared at him for a moment before throwing myself on him and sobbing into his shoulder. "I'm sorry for getting mad yesterday... you were trying to protect me."

I felt his hand rest itself on my back and I let out a shaky sigh. It was always right on my back, where they put their hand, and I always calmed down.

• Flashback •

Suddenly, the man pulled me into a hug, his hand rested on my back. "You have nothing to apologize for."

Flashback End •

Always.

"Do you want me to get Marco?" Haruta asked but I shook my head. "No... you're fine."

I could sense Haruta's soft smile without ever seeing it. He always did have a really gentle way of doing things when it came down to me, even when he's helping me do my hair.

My breathing steadied and he put me back on the bed.

"I kind of get why you got mad, though." He mumbled as he sat down next to me. "We do protect you... a lot. I'm sure it's made you feel weak before. We know you're not, but it's still scary to think of you getting hurt, or worse."

I stared at my hands in silence before answering.

"I guess it's scary when I run in front of you to protect you, then." I leaned on his shoulder and breathed in again.

"Are you having trouble breathing? You've been out of breath since... whoa, Y/N!"

I fell over, but held onto Haruta, my entire body feeling too weak to keep myself up. Stress fever was what Marco called it the last time I felt like this.

"Just lie down, okay? I'll get Marco to check up on you."

"W-Wait, this isn't-"

"That guy's ship? Yeah, he dropped us off while you were sleeping. I'm surprised it took you this long to notice."

I never got to thank him. "I guess I just got a little less observant. I'll work on that." I watched Haruta leave the room. Now that I think about it... I never got to say thank you to them either.

"Hey Y/N."

Marco walked in, still with multiple bandages across his body but functional enough. "Haruta told me you had a fever."

"I was just hot. Nothing important."

He chuckled and sat on the chair across from the bed. "You sure? I can check it out if you want."

"I promise. I'm okay. Haruta was just worried, that's all."

Marco's brow twitched as the name "Haruta" exited my mouth. It was an odd sound coming from my mouth. The lack of my little nicknames was clearly disturbing him in a way.

"Are you planning on going anywhere once you've healed up?" I asked in attempts to get his mind off it.

"I might settle in Oyaji's town. It's an old town, and they might need a doctor."

"I guess you'd be perfect for the job, then."

"At least look like you mean it."

"I do. You're a good doctor."

Marco raised a brow and leaned back on the wall. "No sense of sarcasm?" I shook my head. "I'm being serious."

He sighed and nodded slowly, as if accepting that I wasn't going to joke around like I normally did. "Where are you planning on going?" I thought for a moment. "...No where in particular. I don't like staying in one place for a long time." I get too attached. "I might travel a bit."

"You did always want to see the world."

"Yeah." I scratched the back of my neck. "Or I'd linger with someone I already know... like Law or Luffy. I doubt I'd be able to stay long."

"I see. Most of us have already left. It's a shame they couldn't stay long enough to say goodbye to you, but the marines would be onto us if we were all in one place for too long."

"Makes sense."

The conversation felt so awkward. Like there was a void between the two of us and we were just talking from either side, hoping the message got to the other clearly. We normally were so comfortable with each other.

Change. Something changed.

Marco stood up. "Well, I should be off. Izo and Haruta are the only one other than me that are still here. You can go with one of them if you want."

"Wait." I took his arm and he looked back. "Can I... Can I come with you...?"

He smiled and put his hand on my head. "That'd be preferred. I don't want you to be alone."