Chapter 5

I had just dropped off another delivery in the labs. Neither Bruce nor Tony were there, so I decided to leave the little package on Tony's workbench. He'd know what to do with it.

When I got to my floor, I walked out of the elevator to see a teenaged boy standing in there, looking confused. I immediately recognised him as Peter Parker. He came by the tower often and was pretty much Tony's unofficial son.

"Mr Parker," I said politely. "Can I help you?"

"I'm a bit lost," he said sheepishly. "I'm looking for meeting room five. I thought that maybe Mr Stark or Mr Banner would be down here, but they're not... Also, Miss, you can just call me Peter."

I chuckled.

"I'll call you Peter when you call me Y/n," I said. "And I can take you to meeting room five."

I gestured for the boy to follow me.

I knew he was Spiderman. I'd put all of the pieces together. Peter usually came in after Tony had finished working on something new for the Spiderman suit, and his voice matched the one I'd heard the night Spiderman had saved me from a mugging. I hadn't forgotten. Obviously.

I led Peter to the meeting room and opened the door for him. He thanked me and walked in.

"Excuse me, who are you?"

I looked into the room to see all of the Avengers sitting around a table. The Black Widow was standing up with her arms crossed, a stony expression on her face.

"Don't worry, Tasha," Clint said, his mouth full of Doritos. "She's Tony's new assistant."

I nodded, confirming the statement.

"Y/n, I'm assuming you know who everyone here is," Tony said.

I nodded and looked around the room at the individual Avengers. Steve smiled at me when I looked at him, and I smiled back. Bucky Barnes cocked his head at me, and Sam Wilson nodded at me once. I looked to the Maximoff twins. They'd always interested me, seeing as I'd lived in Sokovia for a while with my parents, and I'd heard of them.

Pietro Maximoff was already looking at me when I looked at him. He smiled at me when he realised he had my attention, and I smiled back. Wanda Maximoff looked at me for a moment before furrowing her eyebrows in confusion and nudging her brother softly. They looked at each other for a moment before Pietro shrugged.

They're probably having a telepathic conversation, I thought.

Wanda looked at me for a moment longer before looking to the Vision, who sat beside her.

"How old are you?" Natasha Romanoff asked.

"Nineteen," I replied.

Ms Romanoff glanced to Tony.

"You hired a nineteen year old?" she asked.

Tony put his hands up defensively.

"She's super smart," he said. "Like... me level smart."

Everyone regarded me and I bit my lip in anxiousness. Natasha opened her mouth to ask another question when Tony cut across her.

"Hey, Y/n, don't you have some files to sort?" Tony asked, giving me a Look.

We both knew that I didn't sort files. Tony was giving me a chance to escape.

"Yes, sir," I said. "Nice meeting you all."

I closed the door on my way out and let out a sigh of relief. Being in a room full of superhumans was scary, and being in a room of superhumans who wanted to interrogate you was even scarier.

I arrived in my office and began working, but I realised my mind was full of Pietro Maximoff. I had only looked at him for a few seconds, but already he was burned into my memory. Of course, that was because I remembered everything I had ever seen extremely clearly, but he just wouldn't leave my mind.

I shook myself and got to work. I wasn't going to waste my time thinking about a boy. Even if his silver hair looked soft enough to run my fingers through. And his eyes looked like the sky, endless and beautiful.

What was I doing? I didn't even know him. I took a deep breath and exhaled, pushing the Maximoff boy from my mind.