Chapter 8

I had my feet propped up on my desk and a Shield training manual in my hands when there was a knock at my door. I placed the manual on my desk and my feet on the ground before telling the person to come in. Steve entered the room, wringing his fingers slightly.

"Good morning, ma'am," he said.

"Good morning, sir," I said.

Steve shook his head at me.

"How many times have I said it's just Steve?" he asked.

I shrugged.

"How many times have I told you it's just Y/n?"

Steve shook his head and grinned at me, and I grinned back.

"So, I need the mission files from the last mission," he said. "The one in Ohio."

"Do you want it printed or emailed?" I asked, logging into my computer.

Steve didn't answer, and I looked up to see him biting his lip. My face softened in understanding.

"Would you like me to teach you how to use email?" I asked.

Steve hesitated and then nodded.

"Where's your laptop?" I asked.

"In my room," he replied. "I'll go get it."

I nodded and he left. I continued reading the Shield manual where I'd left off. I'd picked up a lot from the book, almost as much as what Bucky and Natasha had taught me. I'd need to use it in real life to make sure I had the hang of it, but this manual helped me get the theory side of it down.

Steve entered my office again and I placed my book on my desk. He looked at the cover and quirked an eyebrow.

"The Shield defence manual?" he asked. "Where did you even get that?"

I shrugged.

"I asked Coulson for one. He's really nice," I said.

Steve chuckled and nodded. I sat him down and we logged into his laptop. I showed him around email, and he got the hang of it after about fifteen minutes. I kept my patience with him, knowing that he was old and needed time.

After teaching him how to use his email, I emailed him the mission report. He thanked me immensely, and I shrugged it off, telling him that it wasn't that much of a big deal.

Once he left, I got back to work, seeing as I had a few emails myself. About half an hour later, my phone began ringing, and I picked it up.

"Hello, this is the Avengers' office, how can I help?" I greeted.

"Y/n," a familiar voice greeted. "This is Derek Hale."

I sighed through my nose.

"How can I help you, Mr Hale?" I asked.

"I need you to talk to Tony about my offer again," he said.

I sighed and pinched the bridge of my nose. This was the third time he'd called since the meeting-gone-wrong.

"Listen, Mr Hale-"

"Just ask him again," he demanded. "I know it won't take you long."

I sighed and briefly closed my eyes.

"I'll ask him again," I said. "Although, I believe he will deny your request."

"We'll see," he said, before hanging up.

I put my phone down on my desk and leaned back in my chair, closing my eyes. Derek Hale was a very annoying man.