Chapter 7

There was a knock at my office door. I looked up from my computer as Tony entered the room.

"Guess what? You've been promoted," he said by way of greeting.

I blinked at him in surprise, and he sat on the corner of my desk.

"I – excuse me?" I asked.

A promotion? I'd only been working here for two months, and promotions tended to happen within twelve to eighteen months.

"You got a promotion," he said. "Wanda, Vision, and Pietro said they liked you, and the team really needs an assistant. I'm pretty sure I'm not too much for you to handle, so the whole team won't be bad, right?"

I blinked at him again, trying to wrap my head around it all.

"I... yeah..." I said. "I'm sorry, sir – I mean Tony – this is just a lot to take in. I mean, I've only been here for a couple of months!"

Tony just shrugged and picked up the stapler from my desk.

"Well, the team likes you. Cap thinks you're really polite, and Wanda and Pietro enjoy your company," he said.

I smiled. Pietro and Wanda really enjoyed my company? I had thought that they had hung out with me out of politeness, but apparently that wasn't the case.

"Really, the only change would be getting calls and such from Shield," Tony said. "None of the others really have a schedule, so you'd just be working on mine. Oh, and you will be legally required to attend my parties and hang out with us if we're lonely."

I laughed.

"Well, I can't say no to that," I said. "Anything else?"

"Yeah, you'll have self-defence training," Tony said. "You have your first session at three. I'll have someone drop off a Shield suit."

"Tony, I can pick up the suit myself-"

"Don't worry about it," Tony said, waving a hand. "You also have a meeting with Maria Hill and Phil Coulson at one. I told them to come here."

"I... oh," I said. "Okay."

"Toodles," Tony said, giving me a wave before leaving my office.

I waved back slowly, still slightly shocked. I did not see this coming. I looked to the time and saw that it was only eleven thirty, so I still had an hour and a half until the Shield agents arrived.

I quickly cleaned up my office a little bit, not that there was much to clean up. I kept my workplace tidy most days.

There was a knock at my door, and Pietro entered, a box in his hands.

"Hello," he said. "I have a delivery."

I chuckled and took the box from him.

"Are you a delivery boy now?" I asked.

Pietro laughed and shook his head.

"Just for you, Printsessa," he said.

I ignored the way that sentence made me feel and the weird feeling in my tummy I got at the nickname. I opened the box to see a black suit like the one Natasha Romanoff wore.

"Oh, wow!" I exclaimed, taking it out and admiring it. "This is so cool!"

Pietro chuckled and watched me fold up the suit and place it back in the box. I placed the box on my desk with a slight smile on my face. I looked back to Pietro, who was still standing in my office.

"So, you're my assistant too, now?" he asked.

I smiled and nodded. He grinned back and the office door opened, and Tony strode in.