Chapter 13

I couldn't stop thinking about it on the way back to my apartment. Couldn't stop thinking about the fact that I would have to leave them all behind.

But perhaps I didn't have to. I was safe with them. Nobody would come looking for me or try to kill me with them around.

A sudden boom brought me out of my thoughts. I looked up to see something smoking a couple of blocks away.

My apartment building.

I ran the remaining two blocks to my apartment to see it on fire. People were screaming and crying as they were ushered out. The top three floors had crumbled into the bottom ones, and smoke laced the air.

They'd found me. I knew it.

I glanced around me for anyone suspicious, but I couldn't see anyone who looked like they might be from Hydra.

The screaming of the wounded hurt my head. Tears began to spill down my cheeks. My entire life was in there, the photos of my parents...

Why would they blow up my apartment? I wasn't there, so why would they do it? Unless they thought I was there... usually on a Sunday I would be in my apartment watching tv and eating to my heart's content...

My phone began to ring, and I answered it and put it to my ear numbly.

"Hello?"

"Printsessa! Are you alright?"

Pietro's frantic voice filled my ear.

"I'm – I'm at my apartment building," I whispered. "It's – it's on fire... all of my things were in there..."

A second later Pietro was at my side, but I could barely hear him over the ringing in my ears. Everything was gone. They knew where I was...

Pietro's hand on my lower back brought me back to my senses. I looked to him with sad eyes, and he immediately pulled me into a hug.

"Shh, Darling, I have you," he murmured in Russian.

I sniffled and pulled him closer, my hands fisting in the back of his shirt. His hands rubbed up and down my back soothingly, and after a few moments I was able to take a few deep breaths and calm down.

"I think we should go back to the tower," he murmured. "It isn't safe out in the open right now."

I didn't ask how he knew someone had done this on purpose. I just nodded.

"I am going to pick you up now, Printsessa," he informed me.

I just nodded again and he picked me up bridal style before everything turned to a blur and wind rushed at my face. A second later he was walking at a normal pace in the lobby of the Avengers Tower. I clutched onto his shirt and cuddled closer to him, using him to ground me.

It was all so much. My photos of my parents were in my apartment, my clothes... everything.

The elevator ride was quiet besides my occasional sniffling and Pietro's murmurs of consolidation. We reached the common floor and there was a flurry of motion and noise.

"Guys, back off," Pietro said. "Don't crowd her."

Pietro walked to a couch and put me down gently, but I didn't let go of his shirt. I couldn't focus on anything other than the feel of his shirt grasped in my hand.

"Y/n, Draga, can you let go of my shirt?"

I shook my head and closed my eyes.

"What's wrong with her?" I heard Clint ask.

"She's gone into shock," Bruce said.

"I can't get into her mind," Wanda murmured.

Pietro told everyone to shut up. He lifted me up to his chest and sat down on the couch with me in his lap. He began stroking my hair and pressed a kiss to my temple.

"It is okay, Printsessa," he murmured. "I have you. I won't let them hurt you."

Pietro continued to rock me slowly, and my eyelids began to droop. Maybe it would be a good idea to just sleep...

I woke up in an unfamiliar bedroom. I sat up quickly before I heard a familiar voice beside me.

"It is okay, Printsessa," Pietro said. "I am here."

I turned to see Pietro resting on top of the blankets. I was tucked up underneath them. I rubbed my eyes.

"You passed out," Pietro said before I could ask. "Tony is setting up a bedroom for you. You don't have to get out of bed until you're ready."

I sat up and rubbed my eyes. My apartment...

"I am sorry, Draga," Pietro murmured.

Draga. That was a new nickname. Dear. I didn't mind it at all.

"I-"

There was a knock at the door that interrupted my sentence. Pietro got up and opened it to reveal Wanda. She pushed past him and ran to me, enveloping me in a hug.

"Oh, Y/n!" she exclaimed. "Are you alright?"

I just shrugged and she hugged me tighter. I hugged her back and sighed deeply.

"Tony set up a room for you," Wanda said. She held out her hand to me. "Want to go see it?"

I nodded and grabbed her hand. She helped me out of Pietro's bed and linked our arms before leading me away. Pietro followed us closely behind. We didn't need to walk far, however, because the entire team was standing in the hallway. A few of them came over and gave me a hug, while others pat my shoulder and rubbed my back.

"Well, your room is right here," Tony said, gesturing to the door opposite Pietro's. "If you need anything, just ask. Really. Grocery shopping is every Tuesday, and the list is on the fridge. Add your favourite cereal and milk preferences and anything else you need. Also, you're going shopping for clothes, all paid for by yours truly."

"I – Tony, you really don't need to do that," I said. "You pay me so well, I can pay for it-"

"Nah," Tony said, waving a hand. "I've got you covered. Think of me as your personal insurance. I mean, I'm theirs, and you're pretty much part of the gang now."

I smiled at him, fresh tears coming to my eyes. I threw my arms around his neck and pulled him in for a hug, surprising both him and myself.

Oh god, this was hugely inappropriate. But before I could let go and apologise, he hugged me back.

"Don't worry about it, kiddo," he said softly.

I squeezed him once before letting go. He gave me a grin, one that I returned.

"You're not going to work tomorrow," he said. "You've got the week off."

"What? Tony," I said, "I can't just miss a whole week of work! You wouldn't even know which meetings to go to! Have you ever once checked your schedule that I sent you?"

Tony shook his head with a grin and I rolled my eyes.

"You can go back on Friday," Tony said.

I narrowed my eyes at him.

"Tuesday."

"Wednesday."

I paused for a moment before nodding in agreement.

Things after that passed quickly. I went shopping with Wanda and Nat for new clothing and some decorations for my room. I told them that I was fine with a plain room, but they didn't listen. I ended up with loads of clothes and décor for my room. We went back to the tower where we had a nice dinner before I was off to bed.