CHAPTER 1

THE TEARS STREAM DOWN my face as my legs lay across the concrete

  THE TEARS STREAM DOWN my face as my legs lay across the concrete. My friends just ditched me. What did I do wrong?

Everyone in school hates me because I'm too different and loud compared to them. I just feel so angry all the time and homesick even when I'm home. The rocks were digging into my skin but I didn't put less pressure, I just got angrier. I could still see my friends running down the block, some rich bitches took my best friend and left me to rot.

I looked around me and my eyes landed on a wooden pole from an abandoned house and stomped over to it. The house had broken windows and a door that would swing with the wind. I was always so interested in what made people just get up and go, I was always jealous. I was too young, I wasn't stupid. I'm 12. I don't have a job, only random quarters I'd gather up for the gas station with my 'friends'.

I picked the pole up and the anger went completely to my head now. It was swirling and turning red. The trio of prissy bitches were not that far, their silottues still visible. God, I felt so—unstoppable.

A smile almost formed on my face but I stopped it before I started to feel guilty for feeling this way. I was stomping in the sneakers they made fun of everyday. The black and white old Converse from my cousin. Ones my little brother would eventually get. Before I could realize it, I could very clearly see the back of their heads. Their fucking hair that had the best products because God forbid they have something that isn't less than $10.

  It pissed me off even more seeing Ava, my ex best friend, who came from the same amount of money as me, make fun of what I was wearing and walking with Elaine and Amelia.

I faintly heard someone shouting something in my cloudy state of rage.

"Hey!" I shouted at them with their perfect curls and their new clothes. They all turned around and started to laugh until they saw the pole. "Sam are you crazy?! You are a freak—!" My body moved before my brain and I swung, not caring who I hit.

Except, it didn't hit them. Not one of them. My brain suddenly unclouded and when the red went away, some blonde blue eyed kid stopped the pole. It didn't hit him, he just grabbed it. My breath slowed down but honestly — I didn't realize it was going so fast.

     "Oh my god! Thank you, JJ!" Amelia gushed to this kid. He feels familiar but have I seen him?

           "I wasn't protecting you," He stayed looking into my eyes but I knew he wasn't talking to me, "I was stopping her from going to jail." JJ dropped the pole from his hand. It made me put the pole to the side of me. I finally registered Amelia's face — who looked so offended and the smile I tried to hide earlier formed and then turned into a smirk.