CHAPTER 23

"SHE FELL ASLEEP IN the hammock?" That's John B's voice.

"She seemed really tired today to be fair. There's a lot going on." That's Pope so the person looming over me must be JJ. I don't wake up. I want to see what happens. "Well—someone tell Mama Rachel she's sleeping over. She's got clothes here," He's crouched down in front of me. His face feels so close to mine. Do I have clothes here? I don't even know. I think I took them home to wash them.

  Suddenly, I feel JJ's arms slip under my legs and then one under my back. Oh shit—is he going to carry me into the house? My suspicions are confirmed when my body leaves the hammock and I'm not on the ground. His cologne overcomes me and I move my body closer to his while still pretending to be asleep. "Alright baby, let's get you inside," He whispers.

Baby?!

  The nickname itself is almost enough to make me jump and open my eyes but I don't. I want to stay in JJ's arms. "She's gonna be mad when she finds out you carried her," Pope is closer now, I assume holding the door because I hear it creak open and then JJ goes up the stairs. "So, don't tell her I carried her. Don't be a narc, Pope." JJ's arms slip out from underneath me.

   Damnit, I wanted to stay like that, if I could, forever. I'm placed gently on a bed. "Bro—my bed with shoes on?" John B tries to whisper but I can tell he's annoyed. "I—you want me to take her shoes off?" JJ asks.

   It's quiet for a second. "Would you want to sleep with sneakers on?" Pope's voice travels down to the bottom of the bed and then I feel him unlace my sneakers. I want to burst out laughing but I never realized how comfortable JB's bed is. Did he steal a memory foam pillow? JJ probably did.

   I feel my shoes get looser and then with a tug and a grunt, Pope takes off my first shoe and then does the same to the other. "There you go." My eyes are closed but I know Pope is smiling. "Okay, well, am I supposed to sleep next to her tonight?" John B asks. "John B—did your abusive dad come back and hurt you or did you find out you have siblings or did some fuck make up lies about you?" JJ probably has his hands on his hips right now with a raised eyebrow. "No—"

  "Okay so, let her sleep here. She'll probably wake up," JJ's hand starts to rub my back. The warmth from before makes me smile at his touch. "Let me go grab her a blanket," John B leaves but so does Pope because I can hear him leave the bottom of the bed.

   It's just JJ and I. His hand is still rubbing my back but he slows down and just rests his hand there. "Why won't you talk to me?" JJ says like I would answer if I was actually asleep. "Why can't you tell me what's goin' on in the pretty head of yours—" I'm hoping the blush doesn't make its way up my cheeks. John B opens the door and I feel a blanket get put on me. "Wrap her up like a burrito!" JJ says.

"You wanna wake her up? She'll kill the both of us. Leave her be and leave. I gotta grab something and then I'll be in the living room."

  "Fine." JJ leaves and closes the door. You know that feeling like the boogeyman is staring at you while you sleep? That's how it feels while John B stares at me.

   I feel him get closer to my face and then he whispers, "I know you're awake." There's no need to hide from him so I pop open one eye and smile at him staring right back. "You just wanted him to carry you in, didn't you?" I shrug at him even though the answer is obvious. "John—he called me baby," The smile on my face grew bigger. "He likes you," He boops my nose. I convince myself he's just being affectionate when he thinks I'm asleep but don't deny JB for once. It's not that I believe him, I'm just still reeling from the nickname.