CHAPTER 17

HAVING NOT BEEN IN JJ's house for a while, my curious eyes wander. They land on the scattered pill bottles on the table and the kitchen counter. Pills I know Luke isn't prescribed.

"I feel this need to protect you more than the others....."

Another thing that will play in repeat in my head until I get a proper answer.

Cigarette butts litter the counter even though the ashtray is right next to it.

My thoughts went back to my siblings that I had met literally an hour ago. "Hey, have you talked to that chick?" I shout to JJ who is in his room.

Looking around I have the urge to clean his house but I think that might offend JJ or get him in trouble with Luke so the thought quickly slips from my mind. "Who—uh—Vanessa?"

"The girl you started an argument with me for?" I walk over and lean on his room doorway. Girls in bikinis are thumbtacked to the wall which makes me roll my eyes. Pictures of The Pogues from fairs or a camera hung right next to the hot girls. They don't even make me insecure considering I'm attracted to them. It just makes me want to laugh at them on his wall. "She's pretty—I texted her in the morning but she said she'd be busy all day."

Yeah, being bitchy to her new siblings. So fucking busy.

He's looking for something but gives me no context as to what it is. "Did you—uh—y'know—"

"You can say fuck, and no, I didn't. We didn't have time before her brother, I guess—interrupted us," He grows more frustrated the more he looks around his room. "J—"

"Where is this fucking thing? I saw it the other day!" He paces around his room. "J, why do you feel the need to protect me?" He stops in his tracks, "Because I love you? Isn't that what you do when you love someone?" His words make me freeze for a second before recollecting myself.

"Yes but why more than the others?" I cross my arms and watch him think of a shitty answer.

"I have no idea, pigeon. Maybe it's because of Adrien."

He's bullshitting me,"You were like this before Adrien."

JJ lets out a loud sigh,"I have no idea then. Okay?" His eyes light up like he saw the last blunt over my shoulder. I turn around to follow his eyes but all I see is his dresser. "It's just subconsciously?" I still question him. "Oh my God, I'm literally trying to give you a gift and you're questioning me more than a squirrel without nuts."

As stupid as his words are, they somehow make sense in my head but it doesn't stop me from making a face at him. Wait—a gift?

"What gift?"

JJ turns to me with a closed fist, "This gift!" He opens his palm to reveal one of his skull rings. The smile on his face makes me smile. "You were just arguing with me and now you're proposing? I told you—marriage is a trap," I joke. "I would not propose to you in my bedroom."

I raise an eyebrow, "But you would propose to me?" He pauses as he collects what he said, "Just take the fucking ring!" He drops the ring in my hand and I pick it up with the other to admire it. I know exactly where he got this ring considering I was the one that stole it for him. It was one of those crystal stores on the mainland.

His eyes kept diverting back to it while we browsed so I took it and handed it to him when we were far enough from the store.

"I got you this ring."

"And you deserve it. Plus you always play with my rings even if you wear more than I do half the time." I slide the ring on my middle finger and it's a bit big but not enough to be worried about. My heart feels swirly like when you get affection and it makes the chemicals swirl in your brain. I think it's the serotonin kicking in for once. "Is this where I say yes to your proposal?" I hold my hand out like I'm just newly engaged.