CHAPTER 7

I CANNOT BELIEVE MY last day of summer vacation is going to be spent trying not to kill a Cameron.

   The last I saw of Rafe he was yelling profanities at a party Adrien had invited me to. One I didn't feel welcomed in, even with Sarah complimenting my new septum ring. He was smoking weed and drinking so much alcohol I'm surprised he's not dead.

  My mom is a good person, not that the best but she tries. She never makes me to pretend to be someone I'm not but when Ward Cameron is in the house, I need to be the best version of me. She knows my thoughts about Ward. How he gives me hardcore Republican vibes.

   I watch as my mom and the boys rush around to get the dinner table ready. It's almost embarrassing to watch.

   "You sure you don't need help?" I ask, leaning against a chair.

"No, no. It's fine."

  I roll my eyes at my frantic mother. "You're going to drive yourself mad over—"

"Don't say nothing. This is something." She pats her turtle neck down and sighs in victory at the table in front her. It did look nice but for what? I'll never know unless it's in her damn will. "This pasta looks amazing Justin!" Brandon exclaims.

It smells good.

  Too bad I'd feel guilty eating it with Rafe Cameron across the table from me.

  Just as I'm about to make a slick comment there's
a loud knock at the door.

Here we fucking go.

  My mom rushes over to answer it and when she does, the island's most well known family is greeted with hugs and polite hi's. Them being in my house makes me uneasy.

  First came in Ward then Rose then Wheezie who is stuck in her phone and then Rafe.

Rafe looks evil even with his fucking polo on.

  The next is Sarah who instantly meets me with a smile, pushing past her family to give me an unexpected hug.

I'm getting a lot of those today.

I hug her back because I actually feel okay with her. Being forced to know someone as children can do that to you. "Hi Sam! How are you?" She smiles at me.

  I return it back to her,"I'm fine. How about—"

Suddenly a gasp comes from her and she points upstairs. I throw a confused look at her but still go with her. I should be used to her weird behavior by now but I don't think she's used to mine. Sarah looks around us to make sure we were far enough away from everyone.

"Your fist. What happened?" It's the question of the day. That's why she gasped. I completely forgot how bad it looks to others.

"I got in a fight." My fist stings, reminding me of who I fought.

"Clearlybut with you?" Sarah looks genuinely concerned which makes me want to tell her but as much as I appreciate her being nice to me, she is a Kook. In technicalities, so I am. Sure as hell never feels like it.

"Someone I didn't like. Clearly." I put my fist up and examine it. There's even more bruising than before but I ignored the soreness with weed.

"Clearly." Sarah scoffs,"Your room?" She points to mine at the end of the hall and leads me to my own room.

  My room, like most things when I compare myself to Sarah, is much different than hers. The dark green walls compared to her white walls really speaks to our personalities.