CHAPTER 25

"JOHN B! YOU SPILL THE chips and salsa and I'll kill you, that's my drunk meal."

We haven't had a party at The Chateau in so long I forgot all the work we have to put into it. There's coolers filled with beer and other forms of alcohol. Food is on the table that someone will end up dancing on later resulting in me pushing them like last time. "Why'd we go so hard for this party—there's no need for Sam's fairy lights," Pope looks around at the lights that lined the tops of the walls. "Does it not look nice?"

   "It does—we've just never done this," His eyes still follow along the string of the lights. "Let Sam have her aesthetic moment Pope," John B puts more beer in the cooler. I swear he bought half the supply from the local place that actually lets us buy it. The word about the party got out—thanks to John B—so who even knows who will decide to show up and ruin it.

  "Don't forget to lock your room JB. Don't need someone fucking again on your sheets," I tell him.

"Yeah—believe me, I know."

It's odd to only have the three of us setting up. A part of me thought JJ would show up but another part is thankful he didn't. I got ready at John B's house which was an event. Pope and John B picking up my makeup acting like they're children. They've seen me put on makeup so many times and still act like it's all brand new. If JJ was here he'd be asking a million questions and moving shit.

   I've been stuck on even seeing JJ that I've been way too calm about decorating. I've been so hyper focused on JJ and if he'll even show up. I want to have a conversation but I still have the anger in my head—not my heart because my heart always wants to forgive him—I'm sure he's still angry as well. Both of us said some shit that we both regretted as soon as it left. Both of us put in this tough front and kept saying shit because we were too far into the argument.

  I invited Sarah but she's going out with others. Bailey and Blake are coming though, I know that.

I glance at the clock on the microwave. We have 30 minutes unless people show up early. I stand back and look at the decorated room. I am quite proud—the lights look so good for such a simple decoration. "How long till you think the house is trashed?" Pope asks.

  I put a finger to my mouth and hum, "Maybe, if we're lucky, one hour."

"With an upset JJ? 30 minutes—tops," John B opens a beer and I watch as the fizzy liquid runs down the beer bottle and his hand. "Is he really still that upset?" I bite my lip. "Aren't you?"

Barely 20 minutes later Bailey knocked on the door along with some of her friends we know from school. Pope is panicking because last minute Layla said she can come. "Did I pick the right shirt? Should I have worn an expensive shirt—no, she's not like that..." Bailey and I's eyes watch as he paces the room. It's almost amusing to watch Pope freak out over a girl like this.

   "Pope, buddy, you look great. Layla is great. You're great!" I laugh at Bailey and her supportiveness. More people start piling in and still no JJ. Every knock on the door makes me snap my neck and every blond makes me sick.

   "Are you sure?" Pope is stressed to the max. I swear I can see sweat on his face. I push myself off the counter, beer in hand and walk over to Pope. I fix the collar on his shirt, "You are the kindest and smartest person I know and if Layla doesn't take you and all your quirks, she's not worth it." I smile at Pope hoping my words reassures him. He looks over my face for anything sign of a lie.

"Okay—okay. I'm going to go wait for her now!"

"Yeah!" Bailey and I cheer Pope on. "I got this—I'm fine—" Pope's face lights up and I look behind me and see Layla. She is definitely a pretty girl. Her eyes scan the room for the smart boy in front of me. I push Pope, "Go! You got this!" Pope pushes through the crowd. I'm so proud of him. They grow up so fast.