Part 6

Heading back to school there were signs posted on noticeboards of missing posters with Ruby's face on them. Meeting up with Eric we ride our bikes through the park and notice that his recent ex-boyfriend Adam was looking at one of the posters that hung on a streetlight.

We slow our pace as we pass by the boy, Eric having a guilty look on his face as Adam notices us. He turns in our direction, without uttering a word before ripping the flyer off and shoving it into his jacket pocket. "Do you think he knows anything?" I ask Eric, who would rather look at the ground as we ride towards school.

"Adam and Ruby got along for one night, I doubt he would know anything," Eric says harshly.

Arriving at school there was a lot of talk regarding the whereabouts of Ruby. Everyone had their own thoughts as to where she had disappeared to. There was no sign of police officers, although I did see Anwar standing beside the bike racks. "Well, you've done it now Sex Kid." He mentions.

Eric scoffs. "I suppose a heartbroken Ruby decided to run off because you decided to try to get your dick wet with the first girl you're left alone with." He utters in a mocking tone. "Don't say I don't blame her."

Olivia joins Anwar's side. "Who would want their baby daddy to go around kissing girls not even three days after breaking up?" She joins in the conversation.

That statement catches me off-guard. "What the hell are you spreading around?" Eric asks. "Otis, a baby daddy, that's the most pathetic rumour you've ever tried to spread."

"Then why was it the day she took off she requested me to go buy her a pregnancy test?" Olivia asks sarcastically. "I didn't agree since I've already been in enough drama to last a lifetime."

"I'm guessing you never told the police any of this information correct?" Eric asks.

I'm still standing there in shock. "I didn't think it was important." She says shrugging before the bell rings requesting the students to attend the morning assembly. 

There, students are sat in the hall with the head of the school board standing there as the replacement principal until they found a more suitable staff to take the position. "Welcome back to another week, we are sad to announce the ongoing disappearance of fellow student Ruby Matthews, we urge any student with information to please contact a member of staff or the local authorities." He requests before the rest of the notices are read out.

Eric and I look at each other. He looks concerned, knowing how tough it was to be alone in a difficult situation. I myself, my mind kept taking me back to the day where I had taken Maeve to the abortion clinic. Perhaps Ruby had gone there, she would be back in a few days, right?

My eye catches a glimpse of both Anwar and Olivia whispering about something from the other side of the hall. Were they discussing going to the authorities with the information? "If they don't go, I'll say something," Eric whispers. 

At the end of the assembly, everyone files out of the hall and to their respected classes.

I would attend my first two lessons before my name is spoken over the loudspeaker requesting my presence in the office. My teacher instructs me to pack up my belongings, which I comply with, and head towards the office.

There I'm sat beside Adam, who was holding his bag in front of his chest as both the assistant principal and Officer Bryce are also sitting in front of the desk. "Thank you for coming Mr Milburn, we are just aware of some information regarding the disappearance of your fellow classmate." He begins, turning to Officer Bryce.

"So Mr Groff informs me that Miss Matthews was seen last Friday, the day her parents reported her missing, by himself." He begins explaining. "Your name came up in their brief conversation."

Turning to Adam, there is a hard look on Adam's face. "I tried to get her to stay, I offered her to come to destroy shit with me. She wouldn't budge, said her ex-boyfriend was the reason for her leaving." Adam stops for a long breath. "I also saw what looked like pregnancy tests in her car."

So Olivia's words were true. "Is there a chance that your relationship ended due to a surprise pregnancy Mr Milburn?" The officer asks.

I look at him in shock. "There is no trouble you'll be in, we just need you to confirm the questions so we're able to locate Miss Matthews with new routes of information."

"I...I..." I pause. "As I told you...before I haven't spoken to Ruby since that trip, she saw me kissing another girl and I didn't see her again. The news about a possible pregnancy is news to me." My words are rushed.

"I appreciate your honesty." The officer says. "I am going to take into account that the whole situation is a difficult one, we're just trying to understand the direction that Ruby Matthew's might've taken."

"So are you going to track her down by going to every abortion clinic in the country?" Adam asks, which earns a curse from the assistant principal. 

"It will be considered." The officer informs. "We did find her car abandoned at a major transport hub in the city, we're currently looking through footage to try to find her."

"Thank you." Adam and I are both ushered out of the office.

"You didn't cheat, but you're still a traitor," Adam mutters walking past me.

"Quoting song lyrics isn't going to change anything!" I yell after him, noticing Jakob standing outside of the office. He was here to pick me up early.